by William Ward, printed by Lahee & Co, published by John Britton, after Thomas Phillips, after George Bullock, after Gerard Johnson
mezzotint, published 23 April 1816 (circa 1620)
9 in. x 6 1/8 in. (230 mm x 154 mm) plate size; 17 3/8 in. x 11 3/4 in. (442 mm x 298 mm) paper size
Given by Miss Flick, 1973
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Dramatist and poet. Sitter associated with 94 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- John Britton (1771-1857), Antiquary and topographer. Artist associated with 6 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
- George Bullock (1782 or 1783-1818), Sculptor and cabinet-maker. Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Gerard Johnson (active 1616-1623), Sculptor. Artist associated with 12 portraits.
- Lahee & Co (active 1810-1852), Printers. Artist associated with 16 portraits.
- Thomas Phillips (1770-1845), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 215 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
- William Ward (1766-1826), Engraver; father of William James Ward. Artist associated with 167 portraits.
Related worksback to top
- NPG 1735: William Shakespeare (based on same portrait)
- NPG 185a: William Shakespeare (based on same portrait)
- NPG D18888: William Shakespeare (based on same portrait)
- NPG D21013: Monument to William Shakespeare in Holy Trinity Church, Stratford-upon-Avon (based on same portrait)
- NPG D41658: William Shakespeare (impression from same plate as)
- NPG D41659: William Shakespeare (based on same portrait)
- Gallery Tour: Highlights of the Collection
27 November, 19:30
Related shop items
- Theda Bara, New York, 1920 by James Abbe (1883-1973) print
- William Shakespeare Decoration
- Searching for Shakespeare catalogue (hardback)
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- Songs for William Shakepeare CD
- William Shakespeare Bust
- Writers & Poets Playing Cards
- Famous Faces Playing Cards
- William Shakespeare Magnetic Frame
- The Finest Shakespearean Insults Magnetic Set
- William Shakespeare Fridge Magnet