The Greek Papers
1 portrait of Charles William Vane-Stewart, 3rd Marquess of Londonderry
The Greek Papers
by John ('HB') Doyle, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 30 June 1830
11 1/4 in. x 16 1/4 in. (286 mm x 412 mm) overall
acquired unknown source, 1900
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- George Hamilton Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen (1784-1860), Prime Minister. Sitter in 50 portraits.
- Henry Richard Fox (later Vassall), 3rd Baron Holland (1773-1840), Whig statesman and patron of art and letters. Sitter associated with 54 portraits.
- Charles William Vane-Stewart, 3rd Marquess of Londonderry (1778-1854), Soldier and diplomat. Sitter associated with 39 portraits.
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), Field Marshal and Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 437 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
Exhibitions and displays
- Celebrating Charlotte Brontë: 1816 – 1855
Until 14 August