A Horse Marine
1 portrait of Rowland Hill, 1st Viscount Hill
A Horse Marine
by John ('HB') Doyle, printed by Charles Etienne Pierre Motte, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 12 March 1830
10 3/4 in. x 13 7/8 in. (274 mm x 354 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1900
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- William Frederick, 2nd Duke of Gloucester (1776-1834), Field Marshal. Sitter associated with 28 portraits.
- Rowland Hill, 1st Viscount Hill (1772-1842), General. Sitter in 25 portraits.
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), Field Marshal and Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 437 portraits.
- King William IV (1765-1837), Reigned 1830-37. Sitter associated with 144 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
Exhibitions and displays
- Celebrating Charlotte Brontë: 1816 – 1855
Until 14 August
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- Wellington: Triumphs, Politics and Passions
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Duke of Wellington Bust
- Duke of Wellington Decoration
- King William IV greetings card
- Prime Ministers Mug