The Niobe Family
1 portrait of Henry Pelham Pelham-Clinton, 4th Duke of Newcastle-under-Lyne
The Niobe Family
by John ('HB') Doyle, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 10 May 1831
11 1/4 in. x 16 3/8 in. (286 mm x 415 mm) overall
acquired unknown source, 1900
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Matthias Attwood (1779-1851), Banker and Conservative politician; MP for Whitehaven. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey (1764-1845), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 175 portraits.
- Henry Pelham Pelham-Clinton, 4th Duke of Newcastle-under-Lyne (1785-1851), Nobleman and politician. Sitter in 15 portraits.
- Michael Thomas Sadler (1780-1835), Social reformer. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Sir Charles Wetherell (1770-1846), Politician and lawyer. Sitter associated with 29 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1831back to top
Current affairsParliamentary Reform Bill is rejected by the House of Lords prompting riots in Nottingham, Derby and Bristol.
Art and scienceMichael Faraday demonstrates electromagnetic induction.
Death of Lady Sarah Ponsonby, last of the famous Ladies of Llangollen who attracted many of the leading names in art and literature to visit them at their home in Plas Newydd, Wales.
Opening of New London Bridge, designed by John Rennie.
InternationalViolinist Niccolo Paganini arrives in England from Italy and embarks on a six month tour of the country after astonishing London audiences with his virtuoso performances.
Revolutionary outbreaks in Modena, Parma and the Papal States influenced by the July Revolution in France the previous year.