The Game Stall
1 portrait of John Fane, 10th Earl of Westmorland
The Game Stall
by John ('HB') Doyle, printed by Charles Etienne Pierre Motte, published by Thomas McLean
hand-coloured lithograph, published 18 November 1831
11 in. x 14 1/8 in. (280 mm x 359 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1900
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Charles Gordon-Lennox, 5th Duke of Richmond and Lennox (1791-1860), Soldier and Conservative politician; MP for Chichester. Sitter in 29 portraits.
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), Field Marshal and Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 438 portraits.
- John Fane, 10th Earl of Westmorland (1759-1841), Politician; Lord Privy Seal. Sitter in 19 portraits.
- James Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie, 1st Baron Wharncliffe (1776-1845), Statesman. Sitter associated with 13 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1831back to top
Current affairsParliamentary Reform Bill is rejected by the House of Lords prompting riots in Nottingham, Derby and Bristol.
Art and scienceMichael Faraday demonstrates electromagnetic induction.
Death of Lady Sarah Ponsonby, last of the famous Ladies of Llangollen who attracted many of the leading names in art and literature to visit them at their home in Plas Newydd, Wales.
Opening of New London Bridge, designed by John Rennie.
InternationalViolinist Niccolo Paganini arrives in England from Italy and embarks on a six month tour of the country after astonishing London audiences with his virtuoso performances.
Revolutionary outbreaks in Modena, Parma and the Papal States influenced by the July Revolution in France the previous year.
- Portrait of the Day: Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington
24 November, 12:30