1 portrait of Joe Chamberlain
by Raphael Tuck & Sons, after Unknown photographer
chromolithograph, mid-late 1880s (1870s)
3 1/2 in. x 2 1/8 in. (89 mm x 54 mm) image size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Joseph ('Joe') Chamberlain (1836-1914), Industrialist and politician; MP for Birmingham. Sitter in 104 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1870back to top
Current affairsWilliam Edward Forster's Education Act is passed, making provisions for education for all under-13s. It demonstrated the balance in Gladstone's first ministry between progressive reform and conservativism by spreading literacy, whilst maintaining the status of Church schools. The Married Women's Property Act gives wives rights over their own earnings.
Art and scienceThe Russian composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's fantasy-overture Romeo and Juliet, based on Shakespeare's play and written with the aid of composer Mily Balakirev, debuts in Moscow, conducted by Nikolai Rubenstein. W. G. Grace becomes cricket captain of Gloucestershire, marking the start of a successful decade for the club in which they won three 'Champion County' titles.
InternationalIsaac Butt, an Irish MP at Westminster, forms the Home Rule Association.The Franco-Prussian war breaks out between France and a coalition of German states led by Prussia. Provoked by the candidacy of German Prince Leopold Hohenzollen-Sigmaringen for the Spanish throne, France declared war in July after Bismark published the deliberately provocative Ems telegraph, in which the French were represented in an offensive light on the issue.
Exhibitions and displays
- Public and Private: Winston Churchill in Photographs
Until 5 June
- Celebrating Charlotte Brontë: 1816 – 1855
Until 14 August
- Sir Benjamin Stone's Parliamentary Pictures
- Victorian Photographs by Elliott and Fry
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- A Celebration of Shakespeare
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- The Beautiful and the Damned