The Judgement of Midas
1 portrait of Edward Law, 1st Earl of Ellenborough
The Judgement of Midas
by John ('HB') Doyle, printed by Alfred Ducôte, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 3 May 1832
16 3/8 in. x 11 1/4 in. (415 mm x 286 mm) overall
acquired unknown source, 1900
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- John ('HB') Doyle (1797-1868), 'HB'; caricaturist. Artist associated with 737 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Alfred Ducôte (active 1830-1840), Lithographer and lithographic printer. Artist associated with 462 portraits.
- Thomas McLean (1788-1875), Publisher and dealer. Artist associated with 934 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- George Hamilton Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen (1784-1860), Prime Minister. Sitter in 49 portraits.
- Henry Brougham, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux (1778-1868), Lord Chancellor. Sitter associated with 256 portraits.
- John Bull (active 1712-present), Fictitious epitomist of Englishness and British imperialism. Sitter associated with 106 portraits.
- William Cobbett (1763-1835), Journalist, agriculturalist and politician; MP for Oldham. Sitter associated with 55 portraits.
- John George Lambton, 1st Earl of Durham (1792-1840), Governor-General of Canada. Sitter in 60 portraits.
- Edward Law, 1st Earl of Ellenborough (1790-1871), Politician, President of the Board of Control and Governor-General of India. Sitter associated with 39 portraits.
- Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey (1764-1845), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 174 portraits.
- Daniel O'Connell (1775-1847), Irish politician; MP for Dublin City and Cork County. Sitter associated with 213 portraits.
- John Charles Spencer, 3rd Earl Spencer (1782-1845), Whig statesman. Sitter in 63 portraits.
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), Field Marshal and Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 427 portraits.
- King William IV (1765-1837), Reigned 1830-37. Sitter associated with 142 portraits.
- Lunchtime Lecture: William Cobbett’s Arcadia
7 April, 13:15
Related shop items
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- Wellington: Triumphs, Politics and Passions
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Duke of Wellington Bust
- Duke of Wellington Decoration
- King William IV greetings card
- Kings and Queens of England Mug
- Prime Ministers Mug