Queen Victoria's Funeral Cortège
1 portrait of Prince Arthur of Connaught
Queen Victoria's Funeral Cortège
by James Russell & Sons
bromide print, 4 February 1901
11 1/8 in. x 8 1/2 in. (284 mm x 215 mm) overall
Given by Miss E. Dutton, 1973
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Princess Helen, Duchess of Albany (1861-1922), Wife of Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany; daughter of Prince George Victor of Waldeck-Pyrmont. Sitter in 22 portraits.
- Queen Alexandra (1844-1925), Queen of Edward VII. Sitter associated with 469 portraits, Artist associated with 10 portraits.
- Prince Arthur, 1st Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (1850-1942), Field Marshal, Governor General of Canada; son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 155 portraits.
- Prince Arthur of Connaught (1883-1938), Governor-General of South Africa; son of 1st Duke of Connaught and grandson of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 44 portraits.
- Princess Beatrice of Battenberg (1857-1944), Fifth and youngest daughter of Queen Victoria; wife of Prince Henry of Battenberg. Sitter in 100 portraits.
- King Carlos I of Portugal (1863-1908), Reigned 1889-1908; son of King Louis and Maria Pia. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Prince Charles Edward, 2nd Duke of Albany and Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1884-1954), Son of Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein (1831-1917), Husband of Princess Helena. Sitter in 30 portraits.
- Princess Louise, Duchess of Connaught (née Princess of Prussia) (1860-1917), Daughter of Prince Frederick of Prussia; wife of Arthur, Duke of Connaught. Sitter in 35 portraits.
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 498 portraits.
- Ernest Ludwig, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine (1868-1937), Eldest son of Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Princess Helena Augusta Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein (1846-1923), Wife of Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein; third daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 79 portraits.
- Leopold II, King of the Belgians (1835-1909), Reigned 1865-1909. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, Duchess of Argyll (1848-1939), Daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 94 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife (1867-1931), Princess Royal; wife of 6th Earl of Fife, later Duke of Fife; daughter of King Edward VII. Sitter in 92 portraits.
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 524 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Princess Victoria of Wales (1868-1935), Fourth child of King Edward VII. Sitter associated with 109 portraits.
- Wilhelm II, Emperor of Germany and King of Prussia (1859-1941), Reigned 1888-1918. Sitter in 44 portraits.
Events of 1901back to top
Current affairsQueen Victoria dies on 23 January. She is succeeded to the throne by her son, Prince Edward, aged 60, who reigned until his death in 1910. The census results of this year show the huge changes that took place in Britain during her reign, revealing that the population of Britain had doubled in the past 50 years, to 38 million.
Art and scienceThe start of Pablo Picasso's Blue Period, in which he produces a series of paintings dominated by the colour blue and melancholic mood. Significantly, the period marks the transition in Picasso's style from classicism to abstract art. Beatrix Potter privately publishes The Tale of Peter Rabbit after it is rejected by six publishers.
InternationalThe six colonies of Australia become a federation, forming the Commonwealth of Australia. Australia remains a Commonwealth Realm. This year Australia also passes the Immigration Restriction Act, which limits immigration to Australia and forms the basis of the White Australia policy, a collection of historical legislation and policies designed to restrict non-white immigration to Australia between 1830-1973, although reforms against the policy were introduced in the 1940s.
Exhibitions and displays
- Setting the Scene: Staging and Backdrops in Studio Photographs
Until 4 December
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Victoria & Albert Scarf
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- Pets in Portraits
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The World's Most Photographed catalogue (hardcover)
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Queen Victoria Bust
- Queen Victoria Decoration
- The Queen & Prince Albert's Polka greetings card