Sir Thomas Lawrence
8 of 25 portraits of Sir Thomas Lawrence
Sir Thomas Lawrence
by Samuel Cousins, published by Walter Benjamin Tiffin, published by Rittner and Co, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
mezzotint, published 22 April 1830
18 in. x 12 3/8 in. (456 mm x 314 mm) sight
Given by the daughters of Archibald Keightley, 1911
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Sitter in 25 portraits, Artist associated with 684 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Samuel Cousins (1801-1887), Engraver. Artist associated with 167 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 684 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
- Rittner and Co (active 1830). Artist associated with 3 portraits.
- Walter Benjamin Tiffin (1795-1877), Publisher. Artist associated with 8 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This posthumous print is framed with a lock of Lawrence's hair and some of his drawing instruments.
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.
Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.
'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.
William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2. Lawrence at work
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history