The Modern Antaeus
1 portrait of Henry Pelham Pelham-Clinton, 4th Duke of Newcastle-under-Lyne
The Modern Antaeus
by John ('HB') Doyle, printed by Alfred Ducôte, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 31 July 1833
11 1/4 in. x 16 3/8 in. (286 mm x 415 mm) overall
acquired unknown source, 1900
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- John ('HB') Doyle (1797-1868), 'HB'; caricaturist. Artist associated with 738 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Alfred Ducôte (active 1830-1840), Lithographer and lithographic printer. Artist associated with 462 portraits.
- Thomas McLean (1788-1875), Publisher and dealer. Artist associated with 952 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- John Wilson Croker (1780-1857), Essayist and politician, Secretary to the Admiralty and MP for several constituencies. Sitter in 18 portraits.
- Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey (1764-1845), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 175 portraits.
- Henry Pelham Pelham-Clinton, 4th Duke of Newcastle-under-Lyne (1785-1851), Nobleman and politician. Sitter in 15 portraits.
- Sir Robert Peel, 2nd Bt (1788-1850), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 225 portraits.
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), Field Marshal and Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 438 portraits.
- Sir Charles Wetherell (1770-1846), Politician and lawyer. Sitter associated with 29 portraits.
Events of 1833back to top
Current affairsShaftesbury's Factory Act is passed regulating women's hours and providing for the education of children working in the textile industry.
Bank Act is passed, making Bank of England notes Britain's legal tender.
Art and scienceCharles Lamb publishes Last Essays of Elia after the enormous success of his earlier Essays. A comic allegorization of his humdrum clerical job they become one of the period's literary sensations.
Charles Dickens begins his series Sketches by Boz in the Monthly Magazine.