1 portrait of Barbara Strachey (Hultin, later Halpern)
by Unknown photographer
vintage bromide print, 1935
3 1/2 in. x 4 7/8 in. (90 mm x 125 mm) overall
Given by Barbara Strachey (Hultin, later Halpern), 1999
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Mary Berenson (née Smith) (1864-1945), Art historian; former wife of Frank Costelloe, and later wife of Bernard Berenson; daughter of Robert Pearsall Smith. Sitter associated with 75 portraits.
- Roger Hultin (1934-), Son of Olaf Hultin and Barbara Strachey. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Barbara Strachey (Hultin, later Halpern) (1912-1999), Writer. Sitter in 58 portraits, Artist associated with 9 portraits.
- Rachel Pearsall Conn ('Ray') Strachey (née Costelloe) (1887-1940), Feminist activist and writer. Sitter in 64 portraits, Artist associated with 99 portraits.
Events of 1935back to top
Current affairsStanley Baldwin starts his third term as Prime Minister after Ramsay Macdonald resigns due to ill health. Coincidentally, Baldwin's first term in office also came about when the Prime Minister of the time, Bonar Law, stepped down due to illness in 1923.
Art and scienceRobert Watson-Watt demonstrates Radar, showing how an aircraft can be tracked by detecting radio waves reflected off it. During the war, Watson-Watt established a network of machines and operators that helped detect the approach of enemy aircraft in the Battle of Britain.Penguin publishes its first paperback books, making reading more portable and affordable to a wider audience.
InternationalItaly invades Abyssinia. The invasion of the country now known as Ethiopia was part of Mussolini's plan to create an Italian Empire. It was also an attempt to avenge Abyssinia's victory over the Italian army at Adowa in 1896.Germany introduces conscription, breaking the disarmament clause of the Treaty of Versailles.
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z