© reserved; collection National Portrait Gallery, London
The cast of 'Blue Lagoon'
by Charles M. Hiller, and by Beverley Washburn Click on the links below to find out more
vintage print, 1949
9 1/2 in. x 7 5/8 in. (242 mm x 194 mm) image size
Given by Leslie Gilliat
- Leslie Gilliat (1917-2013), Film producer. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Donald Houston (1923-1991), Actor. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Janey Ironside, Costume maker. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Frank Launder (1906-1997), Film writer and director. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Cornel Lucas (1920-2012), Photographer. Sitter in 5 portraits, Artist of 68 portraits.
- Maud Onslow, Hair stylist. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Jean Merilyn Simmons (1929-2010), Actress. Sitter in 33 portraits.
- Michael Smedley-Aston (1912-2006), Film producer. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Bill Surridge, Actor. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Following the Republic of Ireland Act in 1948, the Irish Free State becomes the Republic of Ireland and leaves the Commonwealth. The functions previously given to the King were handed to the President of Ireland.The Second Parliament Act diminishes the power of the House of Lords, reducing their authority to delay bills from two years to one.
Art and science
George Orwell publishes his dystopian novel, 1984
. The book imagines a future where totalitarian governments rule; their power based on continual war abroad, and overwhelming propaganda and surveillance at home. With 'Big Brother' keeping a constant check on the citizens' actions and thoughts, the individual looses the faculties of free will and independent thought.
The People's Republic of China is created after the Communist Party wins the Civil War. China became a communist country under Mao Zedong.Cold War tensions increase as Germany is split into the democratic Federal Republic of Germany in the west (a union of the post-war British, French and American sectors), and the communist German Democratic Republic, in the east.