The Thimble Rig
6 of 10 portraits of Edward John Littleton, 1st Baron Hatherton
The Thimble Rig
by John ('HB') Doyle, printed by Alfred Ducôte, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 10 July 1834
11 1/4 in. x 16 3/8 in. (286 mm x 415 mm) overall
acquired Unknown source, 1900
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- John ('HB') Doyle (1797-1868), 'HB'; caricaturist. Artist associated with 702 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Alfred Ducôte (active 1830-1840), Lithographer and lithographic printer. Artist associated with 435 portraits.
- Thomas McLean (1788-1875), Publisher and dealer. Artist associated with 897 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- John Bull (active 1712-present), Fictitious epitomist of Englishness and British imperialism. Sitter associated with 104 portraits.
- Edward Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby (1799-1869), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 102 portraits.
- Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey (1764-1845), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 173 portraits.
- Edward John Littleton, 1st Baron Hatherton (1791-1863), Politician, Chief Secretary for Ireland and MP for Staffordshire. Sitter associated with 10 portraits.
- Thomas Spring Rice, 1st Baron Monteagle of Brandon (1790-1866), Whig politician and Chancellor of the Exchequer. Sitter associated with 81 portraits.
- Daniel O'Connell (1775-1847), Irish politician; MP for Dublin City and Cork County. Sitter associated with 207 portraits.
- John Russell, 1st Earl Russell (1792-1878), Prime Minister and writer. Sitter associated with 229 portraits.
- John Charles Spencer, 3rd Earl Spencer (1782-1845), Whig statesman. Sitter in 62 portraits.