'Luncheon Party at the House of Commons'
15 of 19 portraits of Sir Alfred Edward East
'Luncheon Party at the House of Commons'
by Sir (John) Benjamin Stone
platinum print, 17 July 1908
6 1/8 in. x 8 in. (155 mm x 203 mm) image size
Given by House of Commons Library, 1974
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Sir (John) Benjamin Stone (1838-1914), Politician and photographer. Artist associated with 1436 portraits, Sitter in 28 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Arthur James Balfour, 1st Earl of Balfour (1848-1930), Prime Minister and philosopher. Sitter in 129 portraits.
- James Blyth, 1st Baron Blyth (1841-1925), Agriculturalist and businessman; Patron of numerous public bodies; Advocate of cheap postage. Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Sir Frederick Dixon Dixon-Hartland, 1st Bt (1832-1909), Politician; MP for Evesham and Uxbridge. Sitter in 16 portraits.
- Sir Alfred Edward East (1844-1913), Painter and etcher. Sitter in 19 portraits.
- Sir Arthur John Evans (1851-1941), Archaeologist. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Sir Edmund William Gosse (1849-1928), Poet, writer and author of 'Father and Son'. Sitter in 25 portraits.
- Thomas Hardy (1840-1928), Novelist and poet. Sitter in 60 portraits.
- Sir Robert Hart, 1st Bt (1835-1911), Inspector-General of Customs in China. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Robert Henry Holden (born 1856), Currier, leather merchant and Justice of the Peace; son-in-law of Sir (John) Benjamin Stone. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Charles Holme (1848-1923), Magazine editor. Sitter associated with 7 portraits.
- Jutaro Komura (1855-1911), Diplomat and Japanese Minister for Foreign Affairs. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- William James Stewart Lockyer (1868-1936), Astronomer and meteorologist. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Sir Henry William Lucy (1843-1924), Journalist. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Sir Henry Churchill Maxwell Lyte (1848-1940), Historian and archivist. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Dan McKenzie. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Guglielmo Marconi (1874-1937), Physicist and inventor of wireless transmission. Sitter in 29 portraits.
- Thomas Power O'Connor (1848-1929), Journalist and politician; MP for Galway Borough and Liverpool. Sitter in 21 portraits.
- Sir (William Matthew) Flinders Petrie (1853-1942), Archaeologist. Sitter in 12 portraits.
- Sir Edward John Poynter, 1st Bt (1836-1919), Painter and President of the Royal Academy. Sitter associated with 27 portraits, Artist associated with 4 portraits.
- Sir William Blake Richmond (1842-1921), Painter; son of George Richmond. Sitter in 16 portraits, Artist associated with 16 portraits.
- Sir Alfred Farthing Robbins (1856-1931), Journalist and author. Sitter associated with 14 portraits.
- Sir James Dods Shaw (1848-1916), Parliamentary reporter, newspaper editor and writer. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- (Frederick) Primrose Stevenson (1867-1935), Political press correspondent. Sitter in 8 portraits.
- Roland Parker Stone (1876-1924), Manufacturer; son of Sir (John) Benjamin Stone. Sitter in 6 portraits, Artist associated with 4 portraits.
- Sir Edward Maunde Thompson (1840-1929), Palaeographer and Director of the British Museum. Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Mr Walter, of 'The Times'. Sitter associated with 9 portraits.
- Sir Aston Webb (1849-1930), Architect and President of the Royal Academy. Sitter in 16 portraits.
- Albert Basil Orme Wilberforce (1841-1916), Archdeacon of Westminster; son of Samuel Wilberforce. Sitter associated with 37 portraits.
- Card from Alice Balfour - 14 September 1908
- Letter from Arthur James Balfour - 24 July 1908
- Card from Alice Balfour - 31 August 1908
- Letter from Alice Balfour - 21 July 1908
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Sir Benjamin Stone's Parliamentary Pictures
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- Thomas Hardy
- Conquering England
- Howard Carter: The Quest for the Tomb of Tutankhamun
- Letter from de László to Lady Petrie - 31 January 1933
- Letter from de László to John Robertson - 19 July 1934
- Later Victorian Portraits Catalogue
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Athletes and Olympians
- Born in 1856
- The Beautiful and the Damned
Related shop items
- Vanity Fair Portraits catalogue (paperback)
- Sargent: Portraits of Artists and Friends
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- John Singer Sargent: Painting Friends
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Prime Ministers Mug