'Ladies of the London Stage'
1 of 2 portraits of Mrs Charles Viner
'Ladies of the London Stage'
after Lock & Whitfield, and Unknown photographers
woodburytype, published 1875
8 in. x 9 1/4 in. (202 mm x 236 mm) overall
Bequeathed by Patrick O'Connor, 2010
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Carlotta Addison (Mrs Charles La Trobe) (1849-1914), Actress. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Marie Effie (née Wilton), Lady Bancroft (1839-1921), Actress and theatre manager; wife of Sir Squire Bancroft. Sitter in 31 portraits.
- Helen Barry (1840-1904), Actress; former wife of Joseph Brandon and of Alexander Rolls, and later wife of Harry George Bolam. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Kate Bishop (1847-1923), Actress. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Nelly (Nellie) Bromley (1850-1939), Actress and singer. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Eleanor Bufton (1840-1893), Actress; wife of Arthur Swanborough. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Ada Cavendish (later Marshall) (1839?-1895), Actress. Sitter in 14 portraits.
- Angelina Claude (active 1870s), Actress. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Helena Ernstone (1840-1933), Actress. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Ellen ('Nellie') Farren (1848-1904), Actress. Sitter associated with 17 portraits.
- Amy Fawsitt (Mrs Menzies) (1836-1876), Actress. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Teresa Elizabeth Furtado (Mrs John Clarke) (1845-1877), Actress. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Louise Henderson (active 1870s), Actress. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Rose Hersee (1845-1924), Actress and singer. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Dame Madge Kendal (née Margaret Shafto Robertson, later Grimston) (1848-1935), Actress; wife of William Hunter Kendal. Sitter in 43 portraits.
- Rose Leclercq (1843-1899), Actress. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Constance Loseby (1842-1906), Actress and singer; wife of John Caulfield. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Adelina Patti (1843-1919), Singer; sister of Carlotta Patti. Sitter associated with 54 portraits.
- Nelly Power (1855-1887), Actor and singer. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Amy Roselle (Mrs Arthur Dacre) (1854-1895), Actress. Sitter associated with 7 portraits.
- Dame Ellen Alice Terry (1847-1928), Actress. Sitter associated with 193 portraits.
- Marion Bessie Terry (1853-1930), Actress; sister of Ellen Terry. Sitter in 22 portraits.
- Lydia Thompson (Eliza Hodges Thompson) (1838-1908), Dancer and actress. Sitter in 8 portraits.
- Mrs Charles Viner (active 1870s), Actress. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Jessie Catherine Biddulph Vokes (1851-1884), Actress and dancer. Sitter associated with 10 portraits.
- (Theodocia) Rosina Vokes (1854-1894), Actress and dancer. Sitter associated with 11 portraits.
- Victoria Rosaline Sarah Vokes (1850 or 1853-1894), Actress. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Minnie Walton (Mrs Frederick Lyster) (died 1879), Actress. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Ada Ward (active 1870s), Actress. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Dame (Lucy) Genevieve Teresa Ward, Countess de Guerbel (1837-1922), 'Madame Ginevra Guerrabella'; actress and singer. Sitter in 9 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Exhibitions and displays
- Curators' Choice: Photographs from the Terence Pepper Gift
Until 24 January 2016
Related shop items
- Ellen Terry Scarf
- Ellen Terry Magnetic Frame
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Pets in Portraits
- Ellen Terry Glasses Case
- George Frederic Watts DVD
- Ellen Terry Keyring
- Ellen Terry Pocket Mirror
- Ellen Terry ('Choosing') by George Frederick Watts Mini-print
- Ellen Terry Jigsaw
- Ellen Terry Mini Jigsaw
- Ellen Terry ('Choosing') by George Frederic Watts Postcards