1 portrait on display in Room 30 at the National Portrait Gallery
Lent by the Churchill Chattels Trust; Image © National Portrait Gallery, London
by Sir William Orpen
oil on canvas, 1916
58 1/4 in. x 40 3/8 in. (1480 mm x 1025 mm)
Lent by Trustees of the Churchill Chattels Trust, 2012
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965), Prime Minister. Sitter in 212 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir William Orpen (1878-1931), Painter, Royal Acadamian. Artist associated with 29 portraits, Sitter in 28 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- National Portrait Gallery: 100 Portraits, p. 107
- Moorhouse, Paul; Faulks, Sebastian (essay), The Great War in Portraits, 2014 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 27 February - 15 June 2014), p. 129
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 194
Events of 1916back to top
Current affairsAs war drags on with heavy losses, the Prime Minister David Lloyd George introduces conscription with the Military Service Act. Conscientious objectors who refused to fight were compelled to do non-military war work, and some were jailed.British Summer Time is introduced, putting the clocks forward an hour during the summer in order to capitalise on daylight hours.
Art and scienceC. Hubert H. Parry sets William Blake's poem, Jerusalem, to music popularising the poem and tune as a patriotic English anthem. On hearing Edward Elgar's orchestrated version in 1922, King George V suggested that it replace God Save the King as the National Anthem.
InternationalThe Irish Citizen Army starts a Nationalist rebellion in Dublin: The Easter Rising.Massive losses are suffered on the Western Front at the battles of the Somme and Verdun.The Arab revolt against the Ottoman Empire (1916-18) led by Prince Faisal is assisted by T.E. Lawrence, who became known as Lawrence of Arabia.
See this portrait
On display at Imperial War Museum, London
- Portrait of the Day: Augustus John
11 December, 12:30