The Cock Pit
9 of 14 portraits of Charles Pepys, 1st Earl of Cottenham
The Cock Pit
by John ('HB') Doyle, printed by Alfred Ducôte, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 16 February 1837
11 3/8 in. x 16 3/4 in. (289 mm x 427 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1900
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- John ('HB') Doyle (1797-1868), 'HB'; caricaturist. Artist associated with 738 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Alfred Ducôte (active 1830-1840), Lithographer and lithographic printer. Artist associated with 462 portraits.
- Thomas McLean (1788-1875), Publisher and dealer. Artist associated with 952 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Henry Brougham, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux (1778-1868), Lord Chancellor. Sitter associated with 258 portraits.
- John Bull (active 1712-present), Fictitious epitomist of Englishness and British imperialism. Sitter associated with 111 portraits.
- Sir Francis Burdett, 5th Bt (1770-1844), Parliamentary reformer. Sitter associated with 118 portraits.
- George Byng (1764-1847), Politician; MP for Middlesex. Sitter associated with 13 portraits.
- George William Frederick Howard, 7th Earl of Carlisle (1802-1864), Viceroy of Ireland. Sitter associated with 79 portraits.
- Charles Pepys, 1st Earl of Cottenham (1781-1851), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 14 portraits.
- Edward Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby (1799-1869), Prime Minister. Sitter in 105 portraits.
- John Scott, 1st Earl of Eldon (1751-1838), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 93 portraits.
- Edward Law, 1st Earl of Ellenborough (1790-1871), Politician, President of the Board of Control and Governor-General of India. Sitter associated with 39 portraits.
- Ernest Augustus, Duke of Cumberland and King of Hanover (1771-1851), Son of George III. Sitter in 63 portraits.
- Sir James Robert George Graham, 2nd Bt (1792-1861), Statesman; First Lord of the Admiralty. Sitter in 56 portraits.
- Henry Hardinge, 1st Viscount Hardinge of Lahore (1785-1856), Governor-General of India. Sitter in 22 portraits.
- Joseph Hume (1777-1855), Doctor and politician; MP for Aberdeen Burghs, Middlesex and Montrose Burghs. Sitter associated with 74 portraits.
- Stephen Lushington (1782-1873), Judge. Sitter in 19 portraits.
- John Singleton Copley, Baron Lyndhurst (1772-1863), Lord Chancellor and politician; son of the painter John Singleton Copley. Sitter associated with 96 portraits.
- William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne (1779-1848), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 159 portraits.
- Sir William Molesworth, 8th Bt (1810-1855), Politician, First Commissioner of Works and Colonial Secretary. Sitter in 20 portraits.
- Thomas Spring Rice, 1st Baron Monteagle of Brandon (1790-1866), Whig politician; Chancellor of the Exchequer. Sitter in 85 portraits.
- Constantine Henry Phipps, 1st Marquess of Normanby (1797-1863), Whig Politician, writer and British Ambassador to France. Sitter in 52 portraits.
- Daniel O'Connell (1775-1847), Irish politician; MP for Dublin City and Cork County. Sitter associated with 217 portraits.
- Sir Robert Peel, 2nd Bt (1788-1850), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 226 portraits.
- John Russell, 1st Earl Russell (1792-1878), Prime Minister and writer. Sitter in 244 portraits.
- Richard Lalor Sheil (1791-1851), Irish writer, orator and politician; MP for Tipperary and Dungarvan. Sitter associated with 19 portraits.
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), Field Marshal and Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 438 portraits.
- King William IV (1765-1837), Reigned 1830-37. Sitter associated with 144 portraits.
- William Draper Best, 1st Baron Wynford (1767-1845), Politician and judge. Sitter in 7 portraits.