1 portrait of Rudyard Kipling
by Francis Henry Hart, for Elliott & Fry, published by Félix Potin
cigarette card, published after 1893 (1893)
3 in. x 1 5/8 in. (75 mm x 41 mm) overall
Given by Terence Pepper, 2012
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- (Joseph) Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936), Writer and poet. Sitter associated with 39 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1893back to top
Current affairsKeir Hardie is among the group who formalise the Independent Labour Party, and is elected chairman and party leader at the opening conference. Gladstone continues with his campaign for home rule in Ireland, introducing the Second Home Rule Bill, which is passed by the Commons but vetoed by the Lords.
Art and scienceArt Nouveau becomes a fully established movement in European art and design, after emerging in different countries and across different disciplines at the start of the decade. Key figures include the illustrator Aubrey Beardsley, architects Victor Horta and Paul Hankar, and the designer Alphonse Mucha. Art Nouveau is characterised by the 'whiplash' line, a decorative line which represents graphically the desire to break free from traditional aesthetic constraints.
InternationalGandhi's ejection from a South African train carriage on account of his race is the catalyst for his non-violent activism in leading the struggle for Indian independence from British rule. New Zealand becomes the first self-governing country to grant women the vote. The Chicago World's Fair is visited by more than 200 million people, with Nikola Tesla and George Westinghouse introducing electrical power to illuminate the fair.
Exhibitions and displays
- Curators' Choice: Photographs from the Terence Pepper Gift
Until 5 June
- Wise, Constant and Courageous: Millicent Garrett Fawcett
Until 4 September
- WebQuest: Just So Stories
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Victorian Photographs by Elliott and Fry
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians