by and published by Houghton Mifflin Company, after Sir Emery Walker, after John Singer Sargent
photogravure, 1916 (1913)
5 3/8 in. x 3 1/2 in. (137 mm x 88 mm) plate size; 8 1/2 in. x 6 3/4 in. (216 mm x 173 mm) paper size
Given by Houghton Mifflin Company, 1916
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- Houghton Mifflin Company (founded 1880), Publishers. Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- John Singer Sargent (1856-1925), Portrait and landscape painter and muralist. Artist associated with 72 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Sir Emery Walker (1851-1933), Process-engraver and printer. Artist associated with 116 portraits, Sitter in 10 portraits.
Events of 1916back to top
Current affairsAs war drags on with heavy losses, the Prime Minister David Lloyd George introduces conscription with the Military Service Act. Conscientious objectors who refused to fight were compelled to do non-military war work, and some were jailed.British Summer Time is introduced, putting the clocks forward an hour during the summer in order to capitalise on daylight hours.
Art and scienceC. Hubert H. Parry sets William Blake's poem, Jerusalem, to music popularising the poem and tune as a patriotic English anthem. On hearing Edward Elgar's orchestrated version in 1922, King George V suggested that it replace God Save the King as the National Anthem.
InternationalThe Irish Citizen Army starts a Nationalist rebellion in Dublin: The Easter Rising.Massive losses are suffered on the Western Front at the battles of the Somme and Verdun.The Arab revolt against the Ottoman Empire (1916-18) led by Prince Faisal is assisted by T.E. Lawrence, who became known as Lawrence of Arabia.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Companion Series: The Pre-Raphaelite Circle
- Virginia Woolf: Art, Life and Vision Catalogue (Paperback)
- Anarchy & Beauty: William Morris and his legacy - 1860 - 1960
- Sargent: Portraits of Artists and Friends
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- John Singer Sargent: Painting Friends
- Sargent 'Dr. Pozzi' Exhibition Poster
- Sargent 'The Fountain' Exhibition Poster