The Royal Cosset
20 of 37 portraits of John William Ponsonby, 4th Earl of Bessborough
The Royal Cosset
by John ('HB') Doyle, printed by Alfred Ducôte, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 5 February 1838
11 3/4 in. x 17 1/4 in. (298 mm x 437 mm) overall
acquired unknown source, 1900
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- John ('HB') Doyle (1797-1868), 'HB'; caricaturist. Artist associated with 738 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Alfred Ducôte (active 1830-1840), Lithographer and lithographic printer. Artist associated with 462 portraits.
- Thomas McLean (1788-1875), Publisher and dealer. Artist associated with 952 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- John William Ponsonby, 4th Earl of Bessborough (1781-1847), Politician; MP for several constituencies. Sitter associated with 37 portraits.
- Henry Brougham, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux (1778-1868), Lord Chancellor. Sitter associated with 258 portraits.
- John Cam Hobhouse, Baron Broughton de Gyfford (1786-1869), Statesman and friend of Byron. Sitter in 28 portraits.
- Charles Pepys, 1st Earl of Cottenham (1781-1851), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 14 portraits.
- Charles Grant, Baron Glenelg (1778-1866), Politician and colonial administrator. Sitter in 32 portraits.
- William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne (1779-1848), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 159 portraits.
- Thomas Spring Rice, 1st Baron Monteagle of Brandon (1790-1866), Whig politician; Chancellor of the Exchequer. Sitter in 85 portraits.
- Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston (1784-1865), Prime Minister. Sitter in 145 portraits.
- John Russell, 1st Earl Russell (1792-1878), Prime Minister and writer. Sitter in 243 portraits.
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 520 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1838back to top
Current affairsThe Anti-Corn Law league is established in Manchester, led by Richard Cobden and John Bright, aiming to create a fully free-trade economy. The People's Charter is published, demanding many constitutional amendments that would become central to future democratic reform, including universal male suffrage and secret ballots. Despite having one million signatures (and 5 million by 1848), the petition was rejected.Slavery is completely abolished.
Art and scienceTurner's The Fighting Temeraire is exhibited at the Royal Academy. The Temeraire, which had broken the line at the Battle of Trafalgar, was a reflection on the rapid changes of the industrial age. This was demonstrated this year when Isambard Brunel's Great Western crosses the Atlantic, in just fifteen days - a ship under sail could take a month. The London-Birmingham railway is also completed, the line engineered by Robert Stephenson.
InternationalThe first stage in the formation of independent Boer republics in South Africa, as the Republic of Natal is formed in South Africa, following the Boers defeat of the Matabele of Mzilikasi. This comes two years after the Dutch-speaking inhabitants of the British-ruled colony of South Africa set out on the Great Trek, in search of their own independent state.The Central American Federation, an experimental republic formed of several Latin states splits.
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- The World's Most Photographed
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- WebQuest: Votes For Women
- WebQuest: Christmas or Seaside
- The Beautiful and the Damned
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Victoria & Albert Scarf
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The World's Most Photographed catalogue (hardcover)
- David Livingstone and the Victorian Encounter with Africa catalogue (paperback)
- Queen Victoria Bust
- Queen Victoria Decoration
- The Queen & Prince Albert's Polka greetings card
- Prime Ministers Mug