© National Portrait Gallery, London
Alexandra of Denmark with her children
by James Russell & Sons Click on the links below to find out more
albumen print, August 1876
3 1/4 in. x 2 1/8 in. (83 mm x 53 mm) image size
- Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale (1864-1892), Eldest son of Edward VII. Sitter in 116 portraits.
- Queen Alexandra (1844-1925), Queen of Edward VII. Sitter associated with 472 portraits, Artist associated with 10 portraits.
- King George V (1865-1936), Reigned 1910-36. Sitter in 473 portraits.
- Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife (1867-1931), Princess Royal; wife of 6th Earl of Fife, later Duke of Fife; daughter of King Edward VII. Sitter in 92 portraits.
- Maud, Queen of Norway (1869-1938), Queen consort of King Haakon VII; daughter of King Edward VII. Sitter in 92 portraits.
- Princess Victoria of Wales (1868-1935), Fourth child of King Edward VII. Sitter associated with 110 portraits.
Following the introduction of the Royal Titles Act, Queen Victoria is proclaimed Empress of India, with Disraeli deliberately flattering Victoria's imperialist ambitions. In turn, Victoria creates Disraeli Earl of Beaconsfield; he continues to run government from the Lords.
Art and science
The classical-subject painter Lawrence Alma-Tadema, famous for his elegant depictions of the Roman Empire, paints An Audience at Agrippa's
.US inventor Alexander Graham Bell invents and patents the telephone following research into vocal physiology and speech instruction for the deaf, after discovering that sound could be transmitted and reconverted through an electric wire by using a continuous electric current.
15,000 Bulgarian Christians are slaughtered by Turkish troops in retaliation for the killing of 300 Turks in Batak at the start of the Bulgarian uprising. The Turkish government practices further repression by compulsorily transferring people of other ethnicities to Bulgaria to make the Bulgarians a minority. Gladstone published a pamphlet The Bulgarian Horrors and the Question of the East
attacking Turkish actions, selling 200,000 copies in a month.