The Game of Pope Joan
1 portrait of Hugh Fortescue, 2nd Earl Fortescue
The Game of Pope Joan
by John ('HB') Doyle, printed by Alfred Ducôte, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 10 December 1839
11 3/4 in. x 17 1/4 in. (298 mm x 437 mm) overall
acquired unknown source, 1900
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- John ('HB') Doyle (1797-1868), 'HB'; caricaturist. Artist associated with 738 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Alfred Ducôte (active 1830-1840), Lithographer and lithographic printer. Artist associated with 462 portraits.
- Thomas McLean (1788-1875), Publisher and dealer. Artist associated with 952 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (1819-1861), Prince Consort of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 201 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Hugh Fortescue, 2nd Earl Fortescue (1783-1861), Politician; MP for Barnstaple, St Mawes, Buckingham, Devon, Tavistock and Devonshire North. Sitter associated with 23 portraits.
- William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne (1779-1848), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 159 portraits.
- Constantine Henry Phipps, 1st Marquess of Normanby (1797-1863), Whig Politician, writer and British Ambassador to France. Sitter in 52 portraits.
- Daniel O'Connell (1775-1847), Irish politician; MP for Dublin City and Cork County. Sitter associated with 217 portraits.
- Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston (1784-1865), Prime Minister. Sitter in 145 portraits.
- Sir Robert Peel, 2nd Bt (1788-1850), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 226 portraits.
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 520 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), Field Marshal and Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 437 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1839back to top
Current affairsThe Bedchamber crisis strains relations between the government and the monarchy, after Queen Victoria refuses to dismiss her Whig-appointed ladies of the bedchamber at the request of the new, Conservative Prime Minister Sir Robert Peel. Peel resigns and Melbourne returns as Prime Minister. The Grand National is first held at the Aintree race course, won by the horse Lottery, and the first Henley Royal Regatta, the rowing event, is held on the Thames.
Art and scienceThe French and British scientists Louis Daguerre and William Henry Fox Talbot separately publicise their experiments with the new form of photography. The prolific journalist Harriet Martineau publishes her three decker novel Deerbrook, the story of middle class country life.
InternationalThe first Opium War with China is sparked after the British government refuses to try six British soldiers accused of killing a Chinese man protecting a temple from looters. Relations were strained as Britain had promoted the drug opium in China to boost trade. Winning the war, Britain secured vital trading rights. African captives aboard the Spanish ship La Amistad revolt, resulting in a highly publicised court case.
Exhibitions and displays
- Celebrating Charlotte Brontë: 1816 – 1855
Until 14 August
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- WebQuest: Christmas or Seaside
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- The World's Most Photographed
- WebQuest: Votes For Women
- The Duke of Wellington: Sketches from a Military Life
Related shop items
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Victoria & Albert Scarf
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- Wellington: Triumphs, Politics and Passions
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The World's Most Photographed catalogue (hardcover)
- David Livingstone and the Victorian Encounter with Africa catalogue (paperback)
- Duke of Wellington Bust
- Duke of Wellington Decoration
- Queen Victoria Bust
- Queen Victoria Decoration
- The Queen & Prince Albert's Polka greetings card
- Prince Albert Decoration
- Kings and Queens of England Mug
- Prime Ministers Mug