The Game of Pope Joan
1 portrait of Hugh Fortescue, 2nd Earl Fortescue
The Game of Pope Joan
by John Doyle, printed by Alfred Ducôte, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 10 December 1839
11 3/4 in. x 17 1/4 in. (298 mm x 437 mm) overall
acquired Unknown source, 1900
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- John Doyle (1797-1868), 'HB'; caricaturist. Artist associated with 700 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Alfred Ducôte (active 1830-1840), Lithographer and lithographic printer. Artist associated with 434 portraits.
- Thomas McLean (1788-1875), Publisher and dealer. Artist associated with 883 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (1819-1861), Prince Consort of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 187 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Hugh Fortescue, 2nd Earl Fortescue (1783-1861), MP for Devonshire North. Sitter associated with 22 portraits.
- William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne (1779-1848), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 141 portraits.
- Constantine Henry Phipps, 1st Marquess of Normanby (1797-1863), Politician and diplomat. Sitter in 49 portraits.
- Daniel O'Connell (1775-1847), Irish politician. Sitter associated with 203 portraits.
- Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston (1784-1865), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 137 portraits.
- Sir Robert Peel, 2nd Bt (1788-1850), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 174 portraits.
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 476 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), Field Marshal and Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 342 portraits.
Exhibitions and displays
- William Nicholson Woodcuts
Until 2 March 2014
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- WebQuest: Christmas or Seaside
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- The World's Most Photographed
- WebQuest: Votes For Women
- The Duke of Wellington: Sketches from a Military Life
Related shop items
- Lilian Gish, Broken Blossoms, 1919 by James Abbe (1883-1973) print
- Monarchs Ruler
- National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790 (hardcover)
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits (paperback)
- Famous Faces playing cards
- Queen Victoria bust
- Queen Victoria decoration