Breaking up for the Vacation
14 of 26 portraits of Charles Wood, 1st Viscount Halifax
Breaking up for the Vacation
by John Doyle, printed by Alfred Ducôte, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 11 August 1840
11 3/4 in. x 17 1/4 in. (298 mm x 437 mm) overall
acquired Unknown source, 1900
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- John Doyle (1797-1868), 'HB'; caricaturist. Artist associated with 700 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Alfred Ducôte (active 1830-1840), Lithographer and lithographic printer. Artist associated with 434 portraits.
- Thomas McLean (1788-1875), Publisher and dealer. Artist associated with 883 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- John William Ponsonby, 4th Earl of Bessborough (1781-1847), Statesman. Sitter associated with 33 portraits.
- Henry Brougham, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux (1778-1868), Lord Chancellor. Sitter associated with 234 portraits.
- George William Frederick Howard, 7th Earl of Carlisle (1802-1864), Viceroy of Ireland. Sitter associated with 76 portraits.
- Edward Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby (1799-1869), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 101 portraits.
- Henry George Grey, 3rd Earl Grey (1802-1894), Secretary for the Colonies. Sitter associated with 33 portraits.
- Charles Wood, 1st Viscount Halifax (1800-1885), Politician and Chancellor of the Exchequer. Sitter in 26 portraits.
- Henry Richard Fox (later Vassall), 3rd Baron Holland (1773-1840), Whig statesman and patron of art and letters. Sitter associated with 51 portraits.
- Constantine Henry Phipps, 1st Marquess of Normanby (1797-1863), Politician and diplomat. Sitter in 49 portraits.
- Daniel O'Connell (1775-1847), Irish politician. Sitter associated with 203 portraits.
- Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston (1784-1865), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 137 portraits.
- John Russell, 1st Earl Russell (1792-1878), Prime Minister and writer. Sitter associated with 223 portraits.
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 476 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), Field Marshal and Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 342 portraits.
Exhibitions and displays
- William Nicholson Woodcuts
Until 2 March 2014
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- The World's Most Photographed
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- WebQuest: Votes For Women
- WebQuest: Christmas or Seaside
- The Duke of Wellington: Sketches from a Military Life
Related shop items
- Lilian Gish, Broken Blossoms, 1919 by James Abbe (1883-1973) print
- Monarchs Ruler
- National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790 (hardcover)
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits (paperback)
- Famous Faces playing cards
- Queen Victoria bust
- Queen Victoria decoration