Breaking up for the Vacation
14 of 28 portraits of Charles Wood, 1st Viscount Halifax
Breaking up for the Vacation
by John ('HB') Doyle, printed by Alfred Ducôte, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 11 August 1840
11 3/4 in. x 17 1/4 in. (298 mm x 437 mm) overall
acquired unknown source, 1900
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- John ('HB') Doyle (1797-1868), 'HB'; caricaturist. Artist associated with 737 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Alfred Ducôte (active 1830-1840), Lithographer and lithographic printer. Artist associated with 462 portraits.
- Thomas McLean (1788-1875), Publisher and dealer. Artist associated with 934 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- John William Ponsonby, 4th Earl of Bessborough (1781-1847), Politician; MP for several constituencies. Sitter associated with 36 portraits.
- Henry Brougham, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux (1778-1868), Lord Chancellor. Sitter associated with 256 portraits.
- George William Frederick Howard, 7th Earl of Carlisle (1802-1864), Viceroy of Ireland. Sitter associated with 78 portraits.
- Edward Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby (1799-1869), Prime Minister. Sitter in 105 portraits.
- Henry George Grey, 3rd Earl Grey (1802-1894), Secretary for the Colonies. Sitter associated with 36 portraits.
- Charles Wood, 1st Viscount Halifax (1800-1885), Whig politician; Chancellor of the Exchequer. Sitter in 28 portraits.
- Henry Richard Fox (later Vassall), 3rd Baron Holland (1773-1840), Whig statesman and patron of art and letters. Sitter associated with 54 portraits.
- Constantine Henry Phipps, 1st Marquess of Normanby (1797-1863), Whig Politician, writer and British Ambassador to France. Sitter in 52 portraits.
- Daniel O'Connell (1775-1847), Irish politician; MP for Dublin City and Cork County. Sitter associated with 213 portraits.
- Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston (1784-1865), Prime Minister. Sitter in 145 portraits.
- John Russell, 1st Earl Russell (1792-1878), Prime Minister and writer. Sitter in 240 portraits.
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 519 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), Field Marshal and Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 427 portraits.
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- The World's Most Photographed
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- WebQuest: Votes For Women
- WebQuest: Christmas or Seaside
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- The Duke of Wellington: Sketches from a Military Life
Related shop items
- Victoria & Albert Scarf
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- The World's Most Photographed catalogue (hardcover)
- David Livingstone and the Victorian Encounter with Africa catalogue (paperback)
- Wellington: Triumphs, Politics and Passions
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Duke of Wellington Bust
- Duke of Wellington Decoration
- Queen Victoria Bust
- Queen Victoria Decoration
- The Queen & Prince Albert's Polka greetings card
- Kings and Queens of England Mug
- Prime Ministers Mug