1 portrait of Princess Alice of Greece and Denmark
by Lafayette (Lafayette Ltd)
albumen print, 6 July 1893
3 7/8 in. x 5 5/8 in. (98 mm x 144 mm) image size
Given by Martin Plaut, 2012
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Princess Alexandra of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (1878-1942), Daughter of Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh; wife of Prince Ernst of Hohenlohe-Langenburg. Sitter associated with 17 portraits.
- Princess Alice of Greece and Denmark (1885-1969), Wife of Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark; mother of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. Sitter in 26 portraits.
- Victoria Eugenie ('Ena') of Battenberg, Queen of Spain (1887-1969), Queen consort to Alfonso XIII of Spain; granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 53 portraits.
- Princess Beatrice of Edinburgh, Duchess of Galliera (1884-1966), Daughter of Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh; granddaughter of Queen Victoria; wife of 5th Duke of Galliera. Sitter associated with 9 portraits.
- King George V (1865-1936), Reigned 1910-36. Sitter in 473 portraits.
- Margaret, Crown Princess of Sweden (1882-1920), First wife of Crown Prince Gustav Adolf of Sweden; daughter of Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 36 portraits.
- Queen Mary (1867-1953), Queen consort of King George V. Sitter in 394 portraits.
- Maud, Queen of Norway (1869-1938), Queen consort of King Haakon VII; daughter of King Edward VII. Sitter in 92 portraits.
- Princess Patricia of Connaught (later Lady Patricia Ramsay) (1886-1974), Wife of Sir Alexander Ramsay; daughter of Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught; granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 28 portraits.
- Princess Victoria of Wales (1868-1935), Fourth child of King Edward VII. Sitter associated with 109 portraits.
- Princess Helena Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein (1870-1948), Daughter of Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein and granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 35 portraits.
- Victoria Melita, Grand Duchess of Russia (1876-1936), Former wife of Ernest Ludwig, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine, and later wife of Grand-Duke Kirill of Russia; daughter of Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh. Sitter in 17 portraits.
Portrait setback to top
Events of 1893back to top
Current affairsKeir Hardie is among the group who formalise the Independent Labour Party, and is elected chairman and party leader at the opening conference. Gladstone continues with his campaign for home rule in Ireland, introducing the Second Home Rule Bill, which is passed by the Commons but vetoed by the Lords.
Art and scienceArt Nouveau becomes a fully established movement in European art and design, after emerging in different countries and across different disciplines at the start of the decade. Key figures include the illustrator Aubrey Beardsley, architects Victor Horta and Paul Hankar, and the designer Alphonse Mucha. Art Nouveau is characterised by the 'whiplash' line, a decorative line which represents graphically the desire to break free from traditional aesthetic constraints.
InternationalGandhi's ejection from a South African train carriage on account of his race is the catalyst for his non-violent activism in leading the struggle for Indian independence from British rule. New Zealand becomes the first self-governing country to grant women the vote. The Chicago World's Fair is visited by more than 200 million people, with Nikola Tesla and George Westinghouse introducing electrical power to illuminate the fair.
Exhibitions and displays
- Conscientious Objectors of the First World War
Until 5 February