Cecil John Rhodes
1 portrait of Cecil John Rhodes
Cecil John Rhodes
by Elliott & Fry
albumen print, circa 1894
5 3/4 in. x 4 1/8 in. (147 mm x 104 mm) image size
Given by Martin Plaut, 2012
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Cecil John Rhodes (1853-1902), Imperialist, statesman in South Africa and mining entrepreneur. Sitter in 25 portraits.
Portrait setback to top
Events of 1894back to top
Current affairsFollowing Gladstone's resignation, Queen Victoria calls on the Liberal MP Archibald Primrose, the 5th Earl of Rosebery to become Prime Minister, a position he reluctantly accepts. His government is largely unsuccessful as the Tory-dominated House of Lords stop the whole of the Liberal's domestic legislation, and his foreign policy plans are defeated by internal Liberal disagreements.
Art and scienceThe Prince of Wales opens Tower Bridge, built over the Thames to improve access to the growing commercial district of the East End. The bridge was constructed from two bascules, or leaves, which could be raised to allow ships to pass underneath. Rudyard Kipling's hugely popular collection of children's stories, The Jungle Book, are published. The stories, based on Kipling's own experiences in India, have been adapted many times.
InternationalThe arrest and court-martial of Captain Alfred Dreyfus, a Jewish artillery officer, opens up divisions in France over anti-semitism continuing until Dreyfus's exoneration in 1906. The French President Sadi Carnot is assassinated by an Italian anarchist in Lyon. Nicholas II becomes Tsar of Russia following the death of Alexander III. Japan and China go to war over control of Korea, with the more modern Japanese army winning an easy victory.
Exhibitions and displays
- Setting the Scene: Staging and Backdrops in Studio Photographs
Until 4 December
- Black Chronicles: Photographic Portraits 1862 – 1948
Until 11 December
- G.F Watts - Selected Letters
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Victorian Photographs by Elliott and Fry
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians