3 of 4 portraits of Christopher Attlee
by Elliott & Fry
quarter-plate glass negative, 21 December 1950
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Christopher Attlee, Prospective Labour candidate; nephew of 1st Earl Attlee. Sitter in 4 portraits.
Events of 1950back to top
Current affairsPrincess Anne is born at Clarence house, the only daughter of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip.
Art and scienceC.S. Lewis publishes The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia series. Lewis was an Oxford Don, specialising in Medieval Literature and its use of allegory. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is often seen as an allegory of the Christian struggle between good and evil.
InternationalFollowing the Soviet and American withdrawal from the occupation of North and South Korea respectively, the Korean War brakes out as each side seeks to unify Korea under its own political system. While the U.S.A., U.K and other UN nations came to the defence of South Korea, North Korea had support from the Soviet Union and China. The war continued until 1953.
Exhibitions and displays
- Public and Private: Winston Churchill in Photographs
Until 5 June
- Setting the Scene: Staging and Backdrops in Studio Photographs
Until 4 December
- Curators' Choice: Photographs from the Terence Pepper Gift
Until 5 June
- Wise, Constant and Courageous: Millicent Garrett Fawcett
Until 4 September