Ramsay MacDonald and his cabinet of 1924
7 of 9 portraits of Sir Charles Philips Trevelyan, 3rd Bt
Ramsay MacDonald and his cabinet of 1924
by Elliott & Fry
12 x 10 inch glass plate negative, 1924
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- William Adamson (1863-1936), Politician, Chairman of the Parliamentary Labour Party and Secretary of State for Scotland. Sitter in 14 portraits.
- Frederic John Napier Thesiger, 1st Viscount Chelmsford (1868-1933), Viceroy of India and First Lord of the Admiralty. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- John Robert ('J.R.') Clynes (1869-1949), Politician; Home Secretary and Trade unionist. Sitter in 12 portraits.
- Richard Burdon Haldane, Viscount Haldane (1856-1928), Statesman, lawyer and philosopher. Sitter in 40 portraits.
- Vernon Hartshorn (1872-1931), Politician, Postmaster-General. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Arthur Henderson (1863-1935), Politician, leader of the Labour Party, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and iron moulder. Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Frederick William Jowett (1864-1944), Socialist and politician. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- (James) Ramsay MacDonald (1866-1937), Prime Minister. Sitter in 66 portraits.
- Noel Edward Buxton, 1st Baron Noel-Buxton (1869-1948), Politician and philanthropist. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Sydney Haldane Olivier, 1st Baron Olivier (1859-1943), Colonial civil servant, politician and author. Sitter in 6 portraits, Artist associated with 3 portraits.
- Charles Alfred Cripps, 1st Baron Parmoor (1852-1941), Politician; Lord President of the Council. Sitter in 14 portraits.
- Sidney James Webb, Baron Passfield (1859-1947), Politician; MP for Seaham, social reformer, economist and a co-founder of the London School of Economics. Sitter in 90 portraits.
- Thomas Shaw (1872-1938), Politician and Trade Union leader. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Philip Snowden, Viscount Snowden (1864-1937), Statesman; Chancellor of the Exchequer. Sitter in 35 portraits.
- James Henry Thomas (1874-1949), Trade unionist and Labour politician; MP for Derby and Secretary of State for the Colonies. Sitter associated with 23 portraits.
- Christopher Birdwood Thomson, Baron Thomson (1875-1930), Captain and Secretary of State for Air. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Sir Charles Philips Trevelyan, 3rd Bt (1870-1958), Politician; MP and President of the Board of Education. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Stephen Walsh (1859-1929), Politician; Secretary of State. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Josiah Clement Wedgwood, 1st Baron Wedgwood (1872-1943), Politician; MP for Newcastle-under-Lyme. Sitter in 34 portraits.
- John Wheatley (1869-1930), Scottish socialist politician; MP for Glasgow. Sitter in 8 portraits.
Events of 1924back to top
Current affairsAfter narrowly winning the general election the previous year, Stanley Baldwin calls a vote of confidence at the opening of the new session of Parliament and is defeated. George V invited James Ramsay Macdonald to form a minority Labour government, making him the first Labour Prime Minister.
Art and scienceEric Liddell wins the gold medal at the Olympic games, breaking the record for running the 400 metres in 47.6 seconds. The distance was not in fact his strongest event, but he refused to run the 100 metres because the heats were held on the Sabbath. His story is told in the 1981 film Chariots of Fire.
InternationalAfter three strokes and several years of illness Lenin dies. Three days later the city of Petrograd is renamed Leningrad in his honour. On coming to power Stalin began the policy of 'socialism in one country' abandoning the traditional hope for international proletarian revolution in order to strengthen Russia internally and independently.
Exhibitions and displays
- Setting the Scene: Staging and Backdrops in Studio Photographs
Until 4 December
- Black Chronicles: Photographic Portraits 1862 – 1948
Until 11 December
- Wise, Constant and Courageous: Millicent Garrett Fawcett
Until 4 September
- Letter from Mrs Alice Bridgeman - 19 August 1929
- Letter from de László to Lord Haldane's sister - 6th July 1929
- Letter from William Ralph Inge - 6 June [193?]
- Letter from Mrs Mary Catharine Inge - 28 November 1933
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Victorian Photographs by Elliott and Fry
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians