1 portrait of Prince John
published by Rotary Photographic Co Ltd, after James Charles Dinham, and Lafayette (Lafayette Ltd), and Langfier Ltd, and William Slade Stuart, and Unknown photographer
bromide postcard print, published 1910s
5 3/8 in. x 3 3/8 in. (137 mm x 86 mm) overall
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- James Charles Dinham (died 1912), Photographer. Artist associated with 43 portraits, Sitter associated with 1 portrait.
- Lafayette (Lafayette Ltd) (founded 1880). Artist associated with 6859 portraits.
- Langfier Ltd (active 1899-1941). Artist associated with 76 portraits.
- Rotary Photographic Co Ltd (active 1897-1916). Artist associated with 1048 portraits.
- William Slade Stuart (1858-1938). Artist associated with 19 portraits.
- Unknown photographer. Artist associated with 5701 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 497 portraits.
- Prince Edward, Duke of Windsor (King Edward VIII) (1894-1972), Reigned 1936. Sitter in 416 portraits.
- King George V (1865-1936), Reigned 1910-36. Sitter in 470 portraits.
- King George VI (1895-1952), Reigned 1936-52. Sitter associated with 505 portraits.
- Prince George, Duke of Kent (1902-1942), Naval and air force officer; son of King George V. Sitter in 165 portraits.
- Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester (1900-1974), Son of George V. Sitter in 179 portraits.
- Prince John (1905-1919), Youngest son of George V. Sitter in 29 portraits.
- Queen Mary (1867-1953), Queen consort of King George V. Sitter in 392 portraits.
- Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood (1897-1965), Princess Royal; daughter of George V. Sitter in 270 portraits.
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 520 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Related worksback to top
- NPG x76054: Queen Victoria (source portrait)
- NPG x4032: Prince Edward, Duke of Windsor (King Edward VIII); Queen Mary; King George V (source portrait)
- NPG x135924: Prince Edward, Duke of Windsor (King Edward VIII); Queen Mary; King George V (source portrait)
- NPG Ax29313: Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester; Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood; Prince John; Prince George, Duke of Kent (source portrait)
- NPG x29591: King George V (source portrait)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1910back to top
Current affairsGeorge V succeeds Edward VII to the throne. The Liberals win narrow victories after calling two General Elections following escalating tension between the Liberal administration and the Lords reached crisis point with the Lords' unprecedented rejection of Lloyd George's 1909 budget. The budget included tax reform intended to fund social reform and a rearmament programme, but was seen by the Conservative Lords as an assault on property.
Art and scienceThe critic and Bloomsbury group member Roger Fry curates a ground-breaking and, at the time, shocking exhibition in London's Grafton Galleries, Manet and the Post-Impressionists. The exhibition introduces the work of contemporary European artists to the London art establishment, including Manet, Cezanne, Gaugin and Van Gogh, and Fry became a champion of modern art, coining the term 'Post-Impressionism'.
InternationalJapan annexes Korea as a colony, an indication of Japan's ambitious imperialist aims and attempts to control trade and influence in East Asia. Japanese occupation of Korea lasted until 1945, after Japan surrendered to the Allied forces at the end of the Second World War and Korea was divided in two by the United States and the Soviet Union.
Exhibitions and displays
- Setting the Scene: Staging and Backdrops in Studio Photographs
Until 4 December
- Celebrating Charlotte Brontë: 1816 – 1855
Until 14 August
- WebQuest: Christmas or Seaside
- My Favourite Portrait by Hugo Vickers
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- The World's Most Photographed
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- WebQuest: Votes For Women
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- A Celebration of Shakespeare
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- Learn more
- Howard Carter: The Quest for the Tomb of Tutankhamun
- Wedding photographs from the 1920s
- Born in 1856
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Victoria & Albert Scarf
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- Pets in Portraits
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The World's Most Photographed catalogue (hardcover)
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Queen Victoria Bust
- Queen Victoria Decoration
- The Queen & Prince Albert's Polka greetings card