20 of 23 portraits of Anne Boleyn
published by Charles Jefferys, after Unknown artist
13 1/4 in. x 9 3/8 in. (335 mm x 239 mm) paper size
Given by John Hall, 1972
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Anne Boleyn (circa 1500-1536), Second Queen of Henry VIII. Sitter associated with 23 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1846back to top
Current affairsThe Conservative Prime Minister Sir Robert Peel divides his own party by repealing the unpopular Corn Laws, which prohibited the import of cheap grain from overseas, viewed by many as causing the famines in Ireland (which peaked in this year), as well as domestic hardships following a bad harvest. Peel, defeated on a separate issue, resigns. The Whig Earl Russell becomes Prime Minister.
Art and scienceEther is used for the first time as anaesthetic in an operation by the dentist William Morton, while surgeon John Collins Warren removes a tumor on a patient's neck.
Edward Lear, the popular humourist and artist, and author of illustrated nonsense verse (including 'The Owl and the Pussycat'), publishes his Book of Nonsense.
InternationalThe first Anglo-Sikh war ends with the Treaty of Lahore, by which Jammu and Kashmir are ceded to the British. The war had been fought between the Sikh kingdom of the Punjab and the British East India Company, with conflict escalating after internal disorder in the Punjab led the East India Company to increase their military presence on the border.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 16 July
- Life, Death and Memory
Until 16 March 2018
- Reproducing Fame: Printmakers and the Nineteenth Century Stage
Until 31 July
- WebQuest: Henry VIII's Next Wife?
- Thank you for supporting the conservation of the portrait of Anne Boleyn
- WebQuest: Henry VIII - Man Versus Myth
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Conservation treatment of a portrait of Anne Boleyn
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Portrait of the Day: Anne Boleyn
4 June, 12:30
- Portrait of the Day: King Charles I & Henrietta Maria
3 June, 12:30