'Upwards of five hundred photographic portraits of the most celebrated personages of the age'
1 portrait of Sir David Brewster
'Upwards of five hundred photographic portraits of the most celebrated personages of the age'
by Frederick Holland Mares, after Disdéri, and Camille Silvy, and Duroni & Murer, and Émile Desmaisons, and John Jabez Edwin Mayall, and (George) Herbert Watkins, and William Edward Kilburn, and Horatio Nelson King, and John & Charles Watkins, an
albumen carte-de-visite, 1863
3 7/8 in. x 2 1/2 in. (98 mm x 62 mm) overall
acquired Mr & Mrs Gill
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- Ashford Brothers & Co. Artist associated with 14 portraits.
- Émile Desmaisons (1812-1880), Lithographer. Artist associated with 27 portraits.
- Disdéri (1819-1889), Photographer. Artist associated with 219 portraits.
- Duroni & Murer (active 1860s). Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- William Edward Kilburn (1818-1891), Photographer. Artist associated with 69 portraits.
- Horatio Nelson King (1828-1905), Photographer, dealer and stationer. Artist associated with 53 portraits.
- Frederick Holland Mares, Photographer. Artist associated with 4 portraits.
- John Jabez Edwin Mayall (1813-1901), Photographer. Artist associated with 505 portraits.
- James Mudd (1821-1906). Artist associated with 11 portraits.
- Camille Silvy (1834-1910), Photographer. Artist associated with 6083 portraits, Sitter in 24 portraits.
- Unknown photographers. Artist associated with 11 portraits.
- (George) Herbert Watkins (1828-1916), Photographer. Artist associated with 261 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- John & Charles Watkins (active 1865-1870). Artist associated with 332 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany (1853-1884), Fourth and youngest son of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 60 portraits.
- Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (1819-1861), Prince Consort of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 205 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Queen Alexandra (1844-1925), Queen of Edward VII. Sitter associated with 469 portraits, Artist associated with 10 portraits.
- Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh and Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1844-1900), Naval officer; second son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 76 portraits.
- Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse (1843-1878), Third child of Queen Victoria; wife of Louis IV, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine. Sitter associated with 108 portraits.
- Prince Arthur, 1st Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (1850-1942), Field Marshal, Governor General of Canada; son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 155 portraits.
- Princess Augusta Wilhelmina Louisa, Duchess of Cambridge (1797-1889), Wife of Prince Adolphus Frederick, 1st Duke of Cambridge. Sitter associated with 20 portraits.
- Benjamin Disraeli, Earl of Beaconsfield (1804-1881), Prime Minister and novelist. Sitter associated with 107 portraits.
- Princess Beatrice of Battenberg (1857-1944), Fifth and youngest daughter of Queen Victoria; wife of Prince Henry of Battenberg. Sitter in 100 portraits.
- Charles Blondin (1824-1897), Tightrope walker. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Sir David Brewster (1781-1868), Natural philosopher and academic administrator. Sitter in 18 portraits.
- Colin Campbell, 1st Baron Clyde (1792-1863), Field Marshal. Sitter in 26 portraits.
- George Cruikshank (1792-1878), Caricaturist and illustrator. Sitter in 32 portraits, Artist associated with 26 portraits.
- Giovanni Matteo de Candia (Mario) (1810-1883), Italian tenor. Sitter in 16 portraits.
- Charles Dickens (1812-1870), Novelist. Sitter in 95 portraits.
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 498 portraits.
- Elisabeth, Empress of Austria (1837-1898), Wife of Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria. Sitter in 17 portraits.
- Victor Emmanuel II, King of Italy (1820-1878), Reigned 1849-78. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Eugénie, Empress of France ('Eugénie de Montijo') (1826-1920), Consort of Napoléon III of France. Sitter in 27 portraits.
- Frederick III, Emperor of Germany and King of Prussia (1831-1888), Reigned 1888; husband of Princess Victoria (Princess Royal). Sitter associated with 48 portraits.
- Giuseppe Garibaldi (1807-1882), Italian soldier; played central role in unification of Italy. Sitter in 22 portraits.
- William Ewart Gladstone (1809-1898), Prime Minister and writer. Sitter associated with 315 portraits.
- Sir George Grey (1812-1898), Colonial governor. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Giulia Grisi (1810?-1869), Singer. Sitter in 24 portraits.
- Princess Helena Augusta Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein (1846-1923), Wife of Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein; third daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 79 portraits.
- Charles John Kean (1811-1868), Actor and theatre manager; second son of Edmund Kean. Sitter associated with 28 portraits.
- Eleanora ('Ellen') Kean (née Tree) (1805-1880), Actress. Sitter associated with 19 portraits.
- Princess Victoria, Duchess of Kent and Strathearn (1786-1861), Mother of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 32 portraits.
- John Laird Mair Lawrence, 1st Baron Lawrence (1811-1879), Viceroy of India. Sitter in 23 portraits.
- Johanna Maria ('Jenny') Lind (1820-1887), Singer, known as 'the Swedish nightingale'; wife of Otto Moritz David Goldschmidt. Sitter in 20 portraits.
- David Livingstone (1813-1873), Missionary and explorer, Honorary Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. Sitter in 39 portraits.
- Louis IV, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine (1837-1892), Soldier; husband of Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse. Sitter in 47 portraits.
- Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, Duchess of Argyll (1848-1939), Daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 94 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Edward George Earle Lytton Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton (1803-1873), Novellist, playwright and Conservative politician; MP for St Ives, Lincoln and Hertfordshire. Sitter associated with 34 portraits.
- Maria Alexandrovna, Empress of Russia (1824-1880), Wife of Alexander II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Princess Mary Adelaide, Duchess of Teck (1833-1897), Philanthropist; mother of Queen Mary. Sitter in 45 portraits.
- Charles James Mathews (1803-1878), Actor and dramatist; son of Charles Mathews. Sitter in 27 portraits.
- Sir John Everett Millais, 1st Bt (1829-1896), Painter and President of the Royal Academy. Sitter in 74 portraits, Artist associated with 41 portraits.
- Napoléon III, Emperor of France (1808-1873), Reigned 1852-70. Sitter in 40 portraits.
- Napoléon Eugène Louis Jean Joseph Bonaparte, Prince Imperial (1856-1879), Lieutenant; Son of Napoléon III. Sitter in 29 portraits.
- Florence Nightingale (1820-1910), Reformer of hospital nursing and of the Army Medical Services. Sitter associated with 36 portraits.
- Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston (1784-1865), Prime Minister. Sitter in 145 portraits.
- Adelina Patti (1843-1919), Singer; sister of Carlotta Patti. Sitter associated with 55 portraits.
- Pope Pius IX (Giovanni Maria Mastai-Ferretti) (1792-1878), Pope 1846-78. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- John Russell, 1st Earl Russell (1792-1878), Prime Minister and writer. Sitter in 244 portraits.
- Anthony Ashley-Cooper, 7th Earl of Shaftesbury (1801-1885), Philanthropist, social reformer and Conservative politician; MP for Woodstock, Dorchester, Dorset and Bath. Sitter in 39 portraits.
- Maharajah Duleep Singh (1838-1893), Maharaja of Lahore. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Albert Richard Smith (1816-1860), Writer, public lecturer and mountaineer. Sitter in 15 portraits.
- Archibald Campbell Tait (1811-1882), Archbishop of Canterbury. Sitter in 35 portraits.
- Alfred Tennyson, 1st Baron Tennyson (1809-1892), Poet Laureate. Sitter in 95 portraits.
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 526 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Victoria, Empress of Germany and Queen of Prussia (1840-1901), Consort of Frederick III, German Emperor, King of Prussia; daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 123 portraits.
- George Washington (1732-1799), First President of the USA. Sitter in 21 portraits.
- Samuel Wilberforce (1805-1873), Bishop of Oxford and of Winchester; son of William Wilberforce. Sitter in 84 portraits.
- Nicholas Patrick Stephen Wiseman (1802-1865), Cardinal-Archbishop of Westminster. Sitter in 16 portraits.
Related worksback to top
- NPG x19956: Giulia Grisi (source portrait)
- NPG x16485: Giuseppe Garibaldi (source portrait)
- NPG x12677: Adelina Patti as Lucia in 'Lucia de Lammermoor' (source portrait)
- NPG x134669: Maria Alexandrovna, Empress of Russia (source portrait)
- NPG Ax29965: John Russell, 1st Earl Russell (source portrait)
- NPG x11978: Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston (source portrait)
- NPG x650: Benjamin Disraeli, Earl of Beaconsfield (source portrait)
- NPG x5973: William Ewart Gladstone (source portrait)
- NPG x126766: Princess Mary Adelaide, Duchess of Teck (source portrait)
- NPG Ax131391: Princess Augusta Wilhelmina Louisa, Duchess of Cambridge (source portrait)
- NPG Ax11946: Colin Campbell, 1st Baron Clyde (source portrait)
- NPG x15449: Albert Richard Smith (source portrait)
- NPG x137826: Sir George Grey (source portrait)
- NPG Ax25043: Eleanora ('Ellen') Kean (née Tree) (source portrait)
- NPG x6277: Sir John Everett Millais, 1st Bt (source portrait)
- NPG x20048: Jenny Lind (source portrait)
- NPG x13230: Alfred, Lord Tennyson (source portrait)
- NPG x17068: Edward George Earle Lytton Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton (source portrait)
- NPG x12462: David Livingstone (source portrait)
- NPG x14337: Charles Dickens (source portrait)
- NPG Ax14924: George Cruikshank (source portrait)
- NPG x5038: Charles Blondin (source portrait)
- NPG x16135: Florence Nightingale (source portrait)
- NPG x16137: Florence Nightingale (source portrait)
- NPG x16138: Florence Nightingale (source portrait)
Events of 1863back to top
Current affairsThe opening of the world's first underground railway, with the Metropolitan Railway running trains between Bishop's Street, Padington and Farringdon. Work had begun in 1860, using the 'cut-and-cover' method of construction. The Metropolitan line inspired the construction of other underground railways - the Parisian 'Metro' took its name from the line. The Football Association is founded.
Art and scienceJulia Margaret Cameron takes up photography, taking portraits of some of the most celebrated figures of the day, with her romantic style capturing the sense of nostalgia and longing that characterised the age. Kingsley's Water Babies; A Fairy Tale for Children is published, the hugely popular tale of drowned chimney sweep Tom's moral education in the river world of the water babies. It inspired the 1978 film starring James Mason.
InternationalAt an international conference, the Geneva Public Welfare Society calls on the sixteen nations present to form voluntary units to help the wartime wounded. The society, comprised of five Swiss citizens and led by Henri Dunant, who had been deeply affected by the casualties he had witnessed at the Battle of Solferino, became the National Red Cross Societies, adopting the emblem of a red cross on white background.
Exhibitions and displays
- Setting the Scene: Staging and Backdrops in Studio Photographs
Until 4 December
- At the Despatch Box: Gladstone in Action
Until 4 June 2017
- Black Chronicles: Photographic Portraits 1862 – 1948
Until 11 December
- WebQuest: Christmas or Seaside
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Alexandra of Denmark
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Pulling Faces
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- G.F Watts - Selected Letters
- WebQuest: Votes For Women
- Victorian Photographs by Elliott and Fry
- The Search for the Source of the Nile
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Height of Fashion with Lucinda Chambers, Fashion Director, British Vogue
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- WebQuest: Florence Nightingale
- Julia Margaret Cameron:
‘Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens’
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- The World's Most Photographed
- Collected Archives - T-Z
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Camille Silvy
- Between Worlds
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus