1 of 3 portraits of James Adair
by Charles Howard Hodges, published by John Boydell, published by Josiah Boydell, after George Romney
mezzotint, published 1789
19 7/8 in. x 13 7/8 in. (506 mm x 354 mm) plate size; 20 7/8 in. x 15 in. (531 mm x 380 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford, 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- James Adair (died 1798), Recorder of London, Chief Justice of Chester, politician and King's Sergeant. Sitter in 3 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- John Boydell (1720-1804), Engraver and printseller. Artist associated with 127 portraits, Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Josiah Boydell (1752-1817), Artist and publisher. Artist associated with 66 portraits.
- Charles Howard Hodges (1764-1837), Portrait painter and mezzotint engraver. Artist associated with 42 portraits.
- George Romney (1734-1802), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 159 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.