1 of 3 portraits of James Adair
by Charles Howard Hodges, published by John Boydell, published by Josiah Boydell, after George Romney
mezzotint, published 1789
19 7/8 in. x 13 7/8 in. (506 mm x 354 mm) plate size; 20 7/8 in. x 15 in. (531 mm x 380 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- James Adair (died 1798), Recorder of London, Chief Justice of Chester, politician and King's Sergeant. Sitter in 3 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- John Boydell (1720-1804), Engraver and printseller. Artist associated with 127 portraits, Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Josiah Boydell (1752-1817), Artist and publisher. Artist associated with 66 portraits.
- Charles Howard Hodges (1764-1837), Portrait painter and mezzotint engraver. Artist associated with 42 portraits.
- George Romney (1734-1802), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 160 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Events of 1789back to top
Current affairsGeorge III recovers from the previous year's illness. The 'Regency Crisis' and attendant political wrangling between the Tory Prime Minister William Pitt and the pro-Whig Prince of Wales end. Dismissed as a 'bilious attack', George's sickness was in fact the first sign of the mental health problems which led to the Prince of Wales's appointment as Regent in 1811.
Art and scienceJohn Boydell's ambitious new Shakespeare Gallery opens in Pall Mall, displaying works by Britain's leading artists and attempting to combine urban entertainment with the promotion of British history painting.
Philosopher Jeremy Bentham publishes An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation, outlining his 'greatest happiness principle'.
InternationalGeorge Washington is elected first President of the United States.
The French Revolution begins. The storming of the Bastille on the 14 July marks the overthrow of the absolute monarchy in France. The uprising followed the establishment of a governing National Assembly of the people's representatives.