6 of 7 portraits of William Cowper
after Sir Thomas Lawrence
6 3/8 in. x 5 1/4 in. (162 mm x 133 mm)
acquired unknown source, 2000
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 684 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
Events of 1793back to top
Current affairsWhig MP Charles Grey enters a motion for parliamentary reform but is defeated in the House of Commons.
Art and scienceRadical philosopher William Godwin publishes Political Justice, an inflamatory document that promoted rational anarchism. This crystallised a wider feeling that a new era of world peace and progress was beginning.
Sir William Beechey is appointed Portrait Painter to her Majesty, Queen Charlotte.
InternationalLouis XVI and Marie-Antoinette are executed and the Reign of Terror begins.
France declares war on Britain, Holland and then Spain. William Pitt addresses the House of Commons and Britain hesitantly joins the first coalition of anti-revolutionary European states to oppose the French threat.
Attack on Corsica in which Captain Horatio Nelson loses an eye.
- WebQuest: Heroes of Abolition
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2. Lawrence at work
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Portrait of the Day: Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington
27 August, 12:30
- Lecture Wellington: The Man
14 September, 19:00