Ludwig van Beethoven
1 portrait of Ludwig van Beethoven
Ludwig van Beethoven
by Ford Madox Brown
10 3/8 in. x 9 1/8 in. (263 mm x 232 mm) overall
Given by Edith J. Hipkins, 1927
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Ford Madox Brown (1821-1893), Painter and designer. Artist associated with 13 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
Events of 1882back to top
Current affairsThe Ashes Test cricket series is born. The series gets its name from a satirical obituary published in the English newspaper The Sporting Times, stating that English cricket had died and its cremated body was being taken back to Australia, after England, with batsmen W. G. Grace and Charles Studd, lost the first home match to Australia at the Oval.
The Married Women's Property Act is passed, securing equal property rights between married couples.
Art and scienceEadweard Muybridge, British photographer, exhibits his images of animal and human motion, captured with his 'zoopraxiscope', a motion-picture machine recreating movement by displaying individual photographs in rapid succession, at the Royal Academy and Royal Institution. His studies and inventions contributed to the development of motion pictures, with E.J. Marey and the Lumiere brothers acknowledging his impact.
InternationalThe Zioinist movement begins, with the first wave of Jewish immigrants to Palestine, at this time part of the Ottoman empire. The Jewish people were in Diaspora, spread across the world, and Palestine, the place of Jewish origin but now also occupied by Muslims and Christians, seemed a logical place for a settlement.
- Later Victorian Portraits Catalogue
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - Ludwig van Beethoven <> Sir Michael Tippett
- Only Connect - Ludwig van Beethoven <> Thomas Eliot
- Only Connect - Ludwig Van Beethoven <> Jelly D'Aranyi
- Only Connect - Ludwig Van Beethoven <> Joseph Joachim
- Only Connect - Ludwig van Beethoven <> Wolfgang Mozart
- Only Connect - Ludwig Van Beethoven <> Felix Mendelssohn
- Only Connect - Ludwig Van Beethoven <> Nicolo Pagnini
- Only Connect - Ludwig van Beethoven <> Richard Cosway
- Only Connect - installation video