by Richard James Lane, published by John Mitchell, after Alfred, Count D'Orsay
lithograph, published 18 June 1839 (May 1839)
11 7/8 in. x 8 7/8 in. (302 mm x 225 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881), Historian and essayist. Sitter associated with 82 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Alfred, Count D'Orsay (1801-1852), Amateur artist and man of fashion. Artist associated with 220 portraits, Sitter associated with 13 portraits.
- Richard James Lane (1800-1872), Sculptor and lithographer. Artist associated with 1178 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
- John Mitchell (active 1832-died 1889), Publisher. Artist associated with 179 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (Royal Library, 33 Old Bond Street, London)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Thomas Carlyle: Historian of Heroes (14 July 2014 - 30 March 2015)