by Richard James Lane, published by John Mitchell, after Alfred, Count D'Orsay
lithograph, published 18 June 1839 (May 1839)
11 7/8 in. x 8 7/8 in. (302 mm x 225 mm) paper size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881), Historian and essayist. Sitter associated with 79 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Alfred, Count D'Orsay (1801-1852), Amateur artist and man of fashion. Artist associated with 114 portraits, Sitter associated with 12 portraits.
- Richard James Lane (1800-1872), Sculptor and lithographer. Artist associated with 1061 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
- John Mitchell (active 1835-1874), Publisher. Artist associated with 139 portraits.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Thomas Carlyle: Historian of Heroes (14 July 2014 - 30 March 2015)
See this portrait
On display in Room 24 at the National Portrait Gallery