by Rachel Pearsall Conn ('Ray') Strachey (née Costelloe)
oil on board, late 1920s
22 in. x 16 in. (559 mm x 406 mm)
Given by Barbara Strachey (Hultin, later Halpern), 1999
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Virginia Woolf (née Stephen) (1882-1941), Novelist and critic; sister of Vanessa Bell. Sitter in 63 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Rachel Pearsall Conn ('Ray') Strachey (née Costelloe) (1887-1940), Feminist activist and writer. Artist associated with 99 portraits, Sitter in 64 portraits.
Events of 1927back to top
Current affairsThe United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland is renamed the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, acknowledging the full independence of the Irish Free State, led at the time by W.T. Cosgrave, the the first President of the Executive Council of the Irish Free State.
Art and scienceThe BBC gains its Royal Charter making it a public corporation and a public service broadcaster accountable to its audience. John Reith became the first Director General with the directive to 'inform, educate and entertain.'
InternationalStalin expels Leon Trotsky from the Soviet Communist Party, giving himself greater control of the party and country by ousting opposition elements.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Companion Series: The Bloomsbury Group
- Virginia Woolf: Art, Life and Vision Catalogue (Paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Vanity Fair Portraits catalogue (paperback)
- Virginia Woolf by George Charles Beresford Mini-print
- Virginia Woolf Fridge Magnet
- Virginia Woolf Bronze Bust
- Virginia Woolf Wild Horse Necklace
- Virginia Woolf by George Charles Beresford Postcards