© National Portrait Gallery, London
Robert Gifford, 1st Baron Gifford
by Thomas Wright, after Abraham Wivell Click on the links below to find out more
stipple engraving, published 1821
8 5/8 in. x 5 1/2 in. (220 mm x 140 mm) paper size
Given by Henry Witte Martin, 1861
- Abraham Wivell (1786-1849), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 75 portraits.
- Thomas Wright (1792-1849), Painter and engraver. Artist associated with 44 portraits.
- NPG D2762: Robert Gifford, 1st Baron Gifford (from same plate)
- NPG D2765: Robert Gifford, 1st Baron Gifford (from same plate)
- NPG D2764: Robert Gifford, 1st Baron Gifford (from same plate)
George IV is crowned at Westminster Abbey on 19 July and Queen Caroline is turned away from the ceremony. Two weeks later she dies reawakening popular sympathy for her cause. Riots break out at her funeral as the Government attempts to reroute the procession to avoid the popular reaction of the mob.
Art and science
Thomas De Quincey publishes Confessions of an English Opium Eater
in the London Magazine
. A creative commentary on his mental life, it gained instant notoriety.The Manchester Guardian
(later The Guardian
) established.Michael Faraday builds the first electric motor.
Napoleon dies. Revolts in Wallachia and Moldovia against the oppressive rule of the Ottoman Turks. The rebels appeal to Tsar Alexander I for help and the Greek War of Independence begins.