© National Portrait Gallery, London
Sir James Lucas Yeo
by Henry Richard Cook, published by Joyce Gold, after Adam Buck Click on the links below to find out more
stipple engraving, published 1 November 1810
Given by Ernest E. Leggatt
- Adam Buck (1759-1833), Miniaturist. Artist associated with 16 portraits.
- Henry Richard Cook (active 1804-1849), Engraver. Artist associated with 66 portraits.
- Joyce Gold (active 1799-1823), Publisher. Artist associated with 14 portraits.
- NPG D8854: Sir James Lucas Yeo (from same plate)
- NPG D11012: Sir James Lucas Yeo (from same plate)
Serious 'Burdett and Liberty' riots break out in London in support of radical MP Sir Francis Burdett who had been arrested for denouncing the House of Common's decision to bar journalists from some debates. Princess Amelia dies triggering renewed bout of illness in her father, George III.
Art and science
Sir Walter Scott publishes his chivalrous, medieval ballad, The Lady of the Lake
, set on Loch Katrine in Perthshire.Kennett and Avon Trunk Canal is completed.First Savings Bank is set up by financier Henry Duncan.
Madame De Stael writes De l'Allemagne
which portrays Germany as a model of Romantic nationalism for emerging revolutionary nations. It was banned by Napoleon but published in London to great acclaim.Lisbon besieged. Wellington takes shelter behind the fortified lines of the Torres Vedras and the French army are forced to retreat.