18 of 24 portraits of Fanny Kemble
by Jean Gigoux, printed by Lemercier, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
hand-coloured lithograph, 1830
11 1/2 in. x 9 1/4 in. (292 mm x 235 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Frances Anne ('Fanny') Kemble (1809-1893), Actress and author. Sitter in 24 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Jean Gigoux (1806-1894), Painter, lithographer and illustrator. Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 684 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
- Lemercier (active 1836-1856), Lithographic printer. Artist associated with 16 portraits.
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- Director’s Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Off the Beaten Track - Three Centuries of Women Travellers
- Portrait of the Day: Caroline of Brunswick
10 December, 12:30