by Conrad Cook, published by William Mackenzie, after Frederic Leighton, Baron Leighton
stipple and line engraving, mid 19th century
11 in. x 7 3/8 in. (279 mm x 187 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Whitin Fund, 1955
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- Conrad Cook (active 1831-1850). Artist associated with 7 portraits.
- Frederic Leighton, Baron Leighton (1830-1896), Painter; President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 7 portraits, Sitter in 59 portraits.
- William Mackenzie (active mid 19th century), Publishers. Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (Glasgow, Edinburgh, London & New York)
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
- Later Victorian Portraits Catalogue
- Frederic Leighton
- Only Connect - Frederic Leighton <> Joseph Joachim
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Victorian Photographs by Elliott and Fry
- Only Connect - Felix Mendelssohn <> Joseph Joachim
- Only Connect - Felix Mendelssohn <> Charles Mathews
- Only Connect - Felix Mendelssohn <> Nicolo Paganini
- Only Connect - Felix Mendelssohn <> Isambard Brunel
- Only Connect - Felix Mendelssohn <> Ludwig Van Beethoven