1 portrait of Horatio Nelson
by William Evans, after Henry Edridge
stipple engraving, published 1798
8 in. x 6 3/4 in. (204 mm x 170 mm) paper size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Horatio Nelson, Viscount Nelson (1758-1805), Vice-Admiral and victor of Trafalgar. Sitter in 85 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar (2 July 2005 - 11 December 2005)
Events of 1798back to top
Current affairsTo meet war costs, William Pitt introduces a Finance Bill which levies income tax for the first time.
Art and scienceWilliam Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge publish Lyrical Ballads; a key publication for the romantic movement in poetry. Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner opens the volume.
Publisher and printseller Rudolph Ackermann establishes his popular 'Repository of the Arts' shop, gallery, library and social centre on the Strand.
InternationalUprising of the United Irishmen: a republican rebellion which attempted to achieve Ireland's total independence by force with the aid of a French invasion. It was only narrowly defeated.
Battle of the Nile. Napoleon's visionary Egyptian campaign offers British first major victory as Nelson destroys the French fleet.
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Viscount Nelson
- Plaster figure makers: a short history
- WebQuest: Pepys, Nelson, Seacole
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Joseph Haydn
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> William Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Richard Cosway
- Only Connect - installation video
- My Favourite Portrait by Alan Titchmarsh