3 of 10 portraits of John Abernethy
after Sir Thomas Lawrence
12 1/2 in. x 9 1/4 in. (320 mm x 237 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 684 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Events of 1819back to top
Current affairsPeterloo Massacre leaves eleven dead and four hundred wounded as crowds, gathered to hear radical Henry Hunt call for reform of the House of Commons, are forcibly dispersed. Six Acts are passed, stiffening the 1795 Treason Act and introducing a tax on the periodical press which was viewed as seditious.
Art and sciencePercy Bysshe Shelley writes Ode to the West Wind during a year of extraordinary creativity in which he also finishes Prometheus Unbound.Lord Byron publishes his tour-de-force Don Juan; one man's mock-epic odyssey through a world without fixed principles. First ship with a steam engine crosses the Atlantic in twenty-eight days.
InternationalThomas Jefferson establishes the University of Virginia.Royal Navy anti-slave squadron is set up to patrol the West African coastline.French physician Rene Laennac invents the stethoscope.
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- Director’s Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history