© National Portrait Gallery, London
Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond and Lennox
by William Evans, after George Romney Click on the links below to find out more
stipple engraving, published 1808 (1775-1777)
Given by Henry Witte Martin, 1861
- William Evans (active 1797-1856), Draughtsman and engraver. Artist associated with 103 portraits.
- George Romney (1734-1802), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 160 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
- NPG D5815: Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond and Lennox (from same plate)
- NPG 4877: Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond and Lennox (after)
- NPG D39747: Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond and Lennox (based on same portrait)
The 'Mary Anne Clarke affair' erupts in which Clarke, mistress of Frederick, Duke of York, was said to have used her influence with him to run a military promotions racket. Championed by radical government opponents, it ends in the Duke's resignation as Commander-in-Chief of the army.
Art and science
Sculptor John Flaxman begins Nelson memorial for St Paul's.Richard Trevithick demonstrates model railway travelling at 12 mph.
After taking Portugal, Napoleon invades Spain, deposes the Spanish Bourbon monarchy and appoints his brother Joseph as the new King. ThePeninsular War then begins under Sir John Moore and Arthur Wellesley, later Duke of Wellington, aiming to protect Portugal and exploit Iberian hatred of French tyranny.