© National Portrait Gallery, London
Elizabeth Ann Sheridan (née Linley)
by Henry Meyer, published by Henry Colburn, after Ozias Humphry Click on the links below to find out more
stipple engraving, published 1816
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
- Henry Colburn (1784 or 1785-1855), Publisher. Artist associated with 26 portraits.
- Ozias Humphry (1742-1810), Painter. Artist associated with 43 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Henry Meyer (1782?-1847), Portrait painter and engraver. Artist associated with 279 portraits.
- NPG D5973: Elizabeth Ann Sheridan (née Linley) (from same plate)
- Perry, Gill (introduction) Roach, Joseph (appreciation) and West, Shearer (appreciation), The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons, 2011 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 20 October 2011 to 8 January 2012), p. 50
Marriage of Princess Charlotte to Leopold I.Income Tax abolished.Unsuccessful Spa Fields Riot led by the ultra-radical Arthur Thistlewood which aimed to attack the Tower of London and the Bank of England and set up a ruling 'Committee of Public Safety' following the French model.
Art and science
Jane Austen publishes Emma.Leeds and Liverpool Canal completed.
British Government buys the Elgin Marbles, taken from the Acropolis in Athens by Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin, and brought to England between 1803 and 1812. Their acquisition prompts support from Thomas Lawrence and Benjamin Robert Haydon and condemnation from Lord Byron.Slave rebellion fails in Barbados; four hundred slaves are executed.