© National Portrait Gallery, London
William Anne Keppel, 2nd Earl of Albemarle
by John Smith, after Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt Click on the links below to find out more
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 1682 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
- John Smith (1652-1743), Engraver. Artist associated with 1180 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
- NPG D333: William Anne Keppel, 2nd Earl of Albemarle (from same plate)
- NPG D334: William Anne Keppel, 2nd Earl of Albemarle (from same plate)
- NPG D11571: William Anne Keppel, 2nd Earl of Albemarle (from same plate)
The Act for the Naturalization of Princess Sophia, Electress of Hanover, following the Act of Settlement, 1701, ensures Sophia and her descendants, if Protestant, would succeed to the throne. The passing of the Alien Act in Parliament deems any Scot in England to be a foreign subject.
Art and science
Astronomer, Edmond Halley, publishes his celebrated work Synopsis astronomia cometicae
. Architect, Sir John Vanbrugh is appointed to design Blenheim Palace, a gift from the queen to John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough, in recognition of his victory against the French at Blindheim, Bavaria.
Charles Mordaunt, Earl of Peterborough having recently been appointed admiral alongside Sir Cloudesley Shovell, sails from England to fight a successful, though controversial campaign in Spain during the War of the Spanish Succession.