1 portrait of Robert Alderson
by Robert Cooper, printed by McQueen (Macqueen), published by William Freeman, after John Thomas Woodhouse
stipple and line engraving, published 1828
11 7/8 in. x 10 3/8 in. (302 mm x 264 mm) plate size; 17 1/8 in. x 13 1/4 in. (435 mm x 338 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Robert Alderson (1752-1833), Recorder of Ipswich, Yarmouth and Norwich. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Artistsback to top
- Robert Cooper (active 1795-died 1828), Historical and portrait engraver. Artist associated with 187 portraits.
- William Freeman (1784-1877), Printseller. Artist associated with 4 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- McQueen (Macqueen) (active 1819-1872), Printers. Artist associated with 70 portraits.
- John Thomas Woodhouse (1780-1845). Artist associated with 1 portrait.
Events of 1828back to top
Current affairsDuke of Wellington becomes Prime Minister.
Madhouse Act attempts to regulate asylums and ensure new arrivals are genuinely insane.
Repeal of the Test Acts removes political restrictions from dissenters, allowing them to hold public office.