5 of 7 portraits of Thomas Young
by Henry Adlard, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Young (1773-1829), Physician, physicist and Egyptologist. Sitter associated with 7 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1824back to top
Current affairsAnti-Trade Union Combination Acts of 1799 and 1800 are repealed after persuasive arguments from radical Francis Place that prohibition of workers' combinations only increased their appeal. The unions had been banned for fear that they were becoming involved in democratic politics.
Art and scienceNational Gallery is established when Parliament agrees to purchase a collection of thirty-eight paintings from the estate of philanthropist John Julius Angerstein. William Seguier is appointed first Keeper.
Society of British Artists holds its first exhibition, aiming to appeal to a broader art public than those who visited the Royal Academy.
InternationalLord Byron dies of a fever at Missolonghi while fighting in the Greek War of Independence.
Britain declares war on Burma after threat of Indian invasion.
Singapore is ceded to Britain.
John Constable's Haywain receives Gold Medal at the Paris Salon.
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2. Lawrence at work
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Portrait of the Day: Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington
24 November, 12:30