Sir Henry Torrens
1 portrait of Sir Henry Torrens
Sir Henry Torrens
by James Thomson (Thompson), published by Henry Colburn & Co, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
stipple engraving, published 1 September 1820
8 5/8 in. x 5 1/2 in. (219 mm x 140 mm) plate size; 10 in. x 7 in. (254 mm x 178 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- Henry Colburn & Co (active 1823), Publishers. Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 684 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
- James Thomson (Thompson) (baptised 1788-1850), Engraver. Artist associated with 137 portraits.
Events of 1820back to top
Current affairsGeorge III dies at Kew on 29 January and George IV ascends to the throne.
'Trial of Queen Caroline' in the House of Lords; Parliament drops the Bill which was to legitimise a divorce between Caroline and George IV.
Cato Street Conspiracy to assassinate the cabinet discovered. Arthur Thistlewood and fellow conspirators are hung.
Art and scienceSir Thomas Lawrence becomes President of the Royal Academy.
Astronomical Society is set up by John Herschel and Charles Babbage.
First iron steamship is launched.
InternationalActor, Edmund Kean goes on a successful tour of America after making his name at the Drury Lane Theatre.
Revolutions begin in Spain, Portugal and Naples.
The famous ancient Greek statue of the Venus de Milo is rediscovered on the Island of Melos and purchased by the Louvre in Paris.
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2. Lawrence at work
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history