© National Portrait Gallery, London
Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales
by John Samuel Agar, published by Colnaghi & Co, after Charlotte Jones Click on the links below to find out more
stipple engraving, published 21 March 1814
18 7/8 in. x 15 1/4 in. (479 mm x 387 mm)
- John Samuel Agar (1773-1858), Engraver. Artist associated with 49 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Colnaghi & Co (active 1809-1835), Publishers. Artist associated with 100 portraits.
- Charlotte Jones (1768-1847), Miniature painter. Artist associated with 3 portraits.
- NPG D8120: Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales (from same plate)
- NPG D19159: Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales (from same plate)
Princess Caroline leaves England for a lengthy series of travels in Europe and the Middle East. Scandalous gossip promptly surrounds her relationship with her Italian valet, Count Bartholomew Bergami.George, Prince Regent, hosts a visit of the victorious allies to England with spectacular celebrations and fireworks at Carlton House.
Art and science
John Soane completes the construction of Dulwich Picture Gallery.First steam printing machine in the world is used to publish The Times
.New Royal Mint opens at Tower Hill with improved precision machinery.Grand Western Canal completed from Loudwell to Tiverton.
Paris falls under allied attack; Napoleon sent into exile on Elba.Force of British veterans lands at Chesapeake Bay, defeats Americans at Bladensburg and burns parts of Washington DC.Peace treaty signed with Americans in Ghent. General Pakenham is killed leading attack on New Orleans before news of the peace reaches America.