by Richard James Lane, printed by Jérémie Graf, published by Joseph Dickinson
lithograph, with some hand-colouring, published 21 June 1837
13 7/8 in. x 10 3/8 in. (352 mm x 264 mm) paper size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 528 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Joseph Dickinson (1780-1849), Stationer and lithographic publisher. Artist associated with 82 portraits.
- Jérémie Graf (active 1837-1842), Lithographic printer. Artist associated with 113 portraits.
- Richard James Lane (1800-1872), Sculptor and lithographer. Artist associated with 1224 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Events of 1837back to top
Current affairsThe controversial monarch William IV dies of pneumonia in June leaving no legitimate heirs, and is succeeded to the throne by his niece Victoria, one month after her eighteenth birthday.
The Registration Act of Births, Marriages and Deaths makes it compulsory for all births, marriages and deaths to be registered at a Registry Office.
Art and scienceDickens's second novel Oliver Twist is serialised in Bentley's Magazine. The story of the orphan Oliver is an attack on the Poor Law Amendment Acts (1834), a highly contentious piece of legislation which abolished outdoor relief, effectively increasing entry in the workhouse. The novel, famously made into a musical in 1968, marks Dickens as an outspoken social critic as well as a highly popular and commercial writer.
InternationalThe Russian poet Aleksandr Pushkin is killed in a duel with Baron Georges d'Anthès. Considered the founder of modern Russian literature, Pushkin blended Old Slavonic with vernacular Russian and was the first Russian writer to use everyday speech in his poetry. His works include Eugene Onegin.
Exhibitions and displays
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- The World's Most Photographed
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- WebQuest: Votes For Women
- WebQuest: Christmas or Seaside
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Collected Archives - J-M
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video