© National Portrait Gallery, London
Priscilla Kemble (née Hopkins) when Miss Hopkins; as Miss Notable in Cibber's 'The Lady's Last Stake'
by J. Thornthwaite, published by John Bell, after James Roberts Click on the links below to find out more
line engraving, published 1778
7 3/4 in. x 4 1/2 in. (197 mm x 114 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
- John Bell (1745-1831), Publisher. Artist associated with 57 portraits, Sitter associated with 4 portraits.
- James Roberts (1753-in or after 1809), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 52 portraits.
- J. Thornthwaite (born 1740?), Engraver. Artist associated with 31 portraits.
- NPG D8665: Priscilla Kemble (née Hopkins) when Miss Hopkins; as Miss Notable in Cibber's 'The Lady's Last Stake' (from same plate)
- NPG D8667: Priscilla Kemble (née Hopkins) when Miss Hopkins; as Miss Notable in Cibber's 'The Lady's Last Stake' (from same plate)
Catholic Relief Act is the first to provide a measure of catholic emancipation, modifying the penal laws that effectively prevented Catholics from holding public office. The reform is encouraged by the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Mansfield, who had balked at various prosecutions under the statutes now repealed.
Art and science
Francis D'Arblay, writing as Fanny Burney, publishes her novel Evelina, or the History of a Young Lady's Entrance into the World
, in which she satirises contemporary society.Engineer Joseph Bramah invents a type of flush toilet, replacing the usual slide valve with a hinged flap that seals the bottom of the bowl.
American War of Independence: France, joining the American colonies in their fight against Britain, sends a large fleet across the Atlantic. The British rapidly abandon Philadelphia. The American naval hero John Paul Jones makes successful raids around the coasts of Britain.James Cook's third Pacific voyage, aboard the ships HMS Resolution
and HMS Discovery
, first views Oahu then Kauai in the Hawaiian Islands, which Cook names the Sandwich Islands.